Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

So despite everything I said, I ordered a MY2023 Disco

So after much deliberation - and thank you for the advice on this group - I bit the bullet and ordered another D5 on Monday, with the 2% discount offer my local dealer was running.

Had intended on an HSE, but the dealer showed me LR docs which said this car is currently being built with analogue dials and not the digital dashboard (due to the semi-conductor shortage), and that sounded like a step back as I've LOVED the digital dash on my Sept 2018 D5.

His LR report showed the only way to guarantee the digital dash was to go for the Metropolitan Edition, so I've gone with one of those. I mean, it's superbly equipped - things I wouldn't dream of adding individually, but which are really very nice indeed. And I took off a couple of luxuries I would have added to the HSE (such as the massage seats) to get the cost not that far apart.

D300 AWD AUTOMATIC MHEV

* Santorini Black
    * Ebony interior
    * 21" Style 5025, Gloss Black (de-spec'd as didn't want to risk a worser ride on 22". Currently on 20", and it's fine, so this is a slight gamble/risk. Also, kerb damage seems far more likely on 22s?)
    * 21" full size spare wheel
    * Black roof rails
    * Body Side Mouldings - Black finish

Literally no need for anything else, as it was all on the spec already... and some!

His LR documentation suggested 6-9 months, from now. But honestly, I'd actually prefer 9-12 months to enable me to run my current car longer.

Truth is, I've ordered early, knowing there's going to be a wait. I didn't want to wait until the car was approaching 4.5 years old, and then find there was a year's wait still.

At the weekend I'd gone and sat in an XC90 and a Q7, just to see, but I wasn't as comfortable in them and with major muscle/joint issues, seating position (and boot space too) are my priorities.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I have the 22” and find them hard on rural roads especially once the tread has gone down to 5mm.
    They are fine on motorways but A roads with lots of lorry ruts and holes, the tyres seem to climb up and down the ruts requiring constant steering adjustment and ‘bang’ on bumps and holes

I test drove a preowned D5 hse like mine that had 20” over the same route and found them significantly better at steering a more constant course and bumps were ‘muffled’ ……before changing my own wheels.

The 20’ are a bit more bouncy, so maybe in hindsight 21” would have been a good compromise.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

As I've previously commented in my review in this forum:

I agree the 22" are pretty harsh except on the motorway, although I can't say I've noticed the ruts problem (this is on a MY22 HSE)

Although I no longer notice now I am accustomed to the car

I kerbed the NSF rim on day 2 - definitely more prone to this

In their favour: on these wheels the D5 is way more stable than my previous D4 - you might even call it agile !

21" seems a reasonable compromise
  • gavsta

Re: So despite everything I said, I ordered a MY2023 Disco

747_JK wrote:
    Truth is, I've ordered early, knowing there's going to be a wait.

I suspect, this sentiment is spot on. Many of us, with orders sitting dormant on the JLR system, will have expected cars this year. Perhaps MY23 is the correct description, after all.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I ordered in September last year. I have not been able to get any updates and was only ever told the order was pooled- waiting to go to the factory build queue with no anticipated build/delivery date at all.

I have been actively enquiring with other brands for some time and weighing up options (current deal finishes next month). However, as my 2018 HSE ticks round another year I was resigned to having another service and MOT. While I was there I enquired again about my order- 'yes sir, its now in the uk and will be with us by the end of the week'.

You could have knocked me down with a feather. Its been like getting blood out of a stone and then I get a weeks notice of its arrival. A strange mix of frustration at having not been told and excitement about the imminent delivery. 7 months on the nose.

I guess what I am saying is that there is movement but I suspect they are avoiding giving any promises as there are too many factors in play. Does make me wonder when (or dare i say if, (and then sold to someone else for more Whistle )) they would have told me it was coming had I not been in there for my annual service though!

Strange times.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Craigp
    England 

Really happy for you. Whistle Could you tell us what have you ordered and from where. I also ordered in September but not heard a thing. Hopefully I will receive a similar surprise.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Its a D300 SE. Had to drop down to an SE after the price hikes in October and the HSE was then out of reach ☹️ Retained my place in the queue though. The current SE is better specified than my 2018 HSE in any case- apart from that awful dash 🤮 but I will learn to live with it.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
  • Craigp
    England 

Cheers I've also ordered the SE but the D250. Did they honour any discounts offered originally ?
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I think the 250’s are on longer lead times which is why I stuck to the D300.

The original discount I negotiated (pre price rise) not at all. Post price rise negotiations weren’t very productive but I have got a very good deal on my trade in (similar to my pre Christmas valuation) which is as good as a discount in my book as prices look to have fallen a lot in the last 4 months.

• Craigp
    England 

Thumbs Up
  • conts355
    United Kingdom 

Ordered start of July a SE commercial and still in holding pool, Just can’t understand how some people are receiving there vehicles sooner then others are waiting even longer?? Could it be down to the franchise the vehicle was placed at?

Something just doesn’t ring true the way vehicles are coming through……
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Quite simply that with the chip shortage they are prioritising high margin vehicles, as I understand it
  • conts355
    United Kingdom 

High margin?, So every time a high margin vehicle gets ordered the less high margin keeps dropping down the pecking order, Basement models will just sit drowning in the allocation pool!

It’s a lot of ****! Should be first come first served like everything else in life, If there was a vehicle that matched the disco i would be long gone.,The silence treatment from JLR the past 9 months is a joke.

Rant over…
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum