Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rallyevo3
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Crankshaft

Does anyone definitively know if the engines being fitted now have been modified to prevent the failures or are they still fitting the engines with potential issues even now?

If they have been modified, any idea from what Year they started being fitted?

Can you recognise a modified one, without stripping it obviously?

What is the most recent vehicle we are aware of failures? 19MY 20MY etc

Thanks
    Ian
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

As far as im aware JLR never have come up with an answer or fitted to the v6 .. Strange as ford had .
    It has always been a wonder to me as they have fitted the same lump for something like 12 years with the same issue and outcome . It seems the SD4 is even more of an issue with the pistons and rings

Luckily if you are deemed a loyal enough customer in most cases JLR pick up the tab even after several years and miles.

The Ford revised crank can be fitted but a lot of work involved as the bearings are a different size to allow for meatier journals
  • Rallyevo3
    United Kingdom 

My MY18 has just failed at 26k
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I feel your pain. Same happened to my MY18 at 23k.

I am not aware that the inherent weakness was/has ever been addressed in the JLR variant of the v6 diesel but there does seem to be a significant element of pot luck. They did update the design of the shell bearings with locating tabs to avoid the slipping round and therefore blocking the oil ways but that mustn’t be the only failure mode. I consider myself ‘lucky’ that mine failed at low miles and the car was relatively young- JLR paid 100% for a new engine as I had always had it serviced at the main dealer. Harder to convince them at 60k and 5 years I would imagine…

I have since traded it in for a D300 ingenium straight 6. I suspect (apart from the expensive ford crankshaft mod) that it is the only way to avoid the tdv6/sdv6 crankshaft potential. Hopefully there isn’t a different design compromise in the ingenium series of engines Shocked Also a straight 6 has no need for balance shafts - another relatively common issue with 4 pots and V6’s alike -and not just JLR engines.

Best of luck with getting a replacement engine.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Rallyevo3
    United Kingdom 

Extended warranty thank goodness
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

If it LR’s extended warrenty it isn’t provided by LR, and I think doesn’t cover design issues and therefore doesn’t cover the crank failures. Have a look over on the D4 forum as there’s more info on there.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Rallyevo3
    United Kingdom 

Trust me, it's covered, new engine going in Monday
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up good for you.

More of an issue if you purchased it second hand, not from or serviced by a LR dealer - they love loyalty, and don have a LR extended warranty.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Re: Crankshaft

Rallyevo3 wrote:
    Does anyone definitively know if the engines being fitted now have been modified to prevent the failures or are they still fitting the engines with potential issues even now?

Thanks
    Ian

Engines fitted now are the straight six ingeniums. They have been fitted from MY21 onwards. Completely different engine to the V6.

There are rumours that the V6 had a strengthened crank from MY19 onwards with the SD6 engine.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Rallyevo3 wrote:

Not by JLR extended warranty ,it will be replaced under JLR goodwill The crank failure issue will not be entertained by the warranty company and they tell you your argument is with land rover once past the three years. Also be aware it wont be a new engine but a reworked one they are all replaced by engines reconditioned by a company called Auto Craft at Grantham and by repute are better than the original lumps fitted at manufacture. All JLR reworked engines come from here and along with other manufacturers they rebuild 25,000 units annually.
    My D4 had the issue at 6yrs and 70k miles ,my dealer got JLR to replace FOC.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Re: Crankshaft

JonM wrote:
    Rallyevo3 wrote:

Thanks
    Ian

Engines fitted now are the straight six ingeniums. They have been fitted from MY21 onwards. Completely different engine to the V6.

There are rumours that the V6 had a strengthened crank from MY19 onwards with the SD6 engine.
    crank is exactly the same only Ford fitted mods as they were stung heavily in USA with them.

With the reputation of the straight 4 im not sure the straight six will be any better as that engine has almost become a service item Rolling with laughter
  • bammmy

Popsdosh wrote:
    Rallyevo3 wrote:

Not by JLR extended warranty ,it will be replaced under JLR goodwill The crank failure issue will not be entertained by the warranty company and they tell you your argument is with land rover once past the three years. Also be aware it wont be a new engine but a reworked one they are all replaced by engines reconditioned by a company called Auto Craft at Grantham and by repute are better than the original lumps fitted at manufacture. All JLR reworked engines come from here and along with other manufacturers they rebuild 25,000 units annually.
    My D4 had the issue at 6yrs and 70k miles ,my dealer got JLR to replace FOC.

Hello,
    I have just taken out the LR extended warranty and the crankshaft is definitely covered, I have read it myself in the what is covered section and in black and white it’s covered 👍
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

I suggest you also read the exclusions section. As many have been under the illusion
    Car care look on the snapping crank as an inherent design fault so is excluded under the policy.
    Have recent experience of this along with others. Ask your dealer the specific question of the crank issue and lr extended warranty and they will either lie or be very sheepish
  • bammmy

Hi,
    Copy and pasted this from the extended warranty booklet, hope this puts it to bed.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Ditto. You appear to have missed bits! Just trying to stop you having a shock thinking you are covered you wont be !! I mistakenly thought I was ,it comes as a shock when you are told by the repairer that the warranty will not cover the crank. Then what it will cost to replace the lump. maybe dont be so dismissive of others that have been there and what they have experience of.
    The crank issue had been listed as an inherrent design issue many years ago in the V6. It was tested in court and proven . The main reason JLR swallow the cost of replacement even in relatively older and high miled vehicles as long as you have been deemed a good customer ie. using main dealer servicing .
    Maybe if its so important to you ,ask the simple question of car care plan will you pick up the tab for a snapped V6 crank , I know what the answer will be! Dont be fooled like I was and many others.
    Hopefully it will never become an issue for you .

page 5 terms

Inherent Design Fault
    Inherent Design Fault means any fault which is ultimately caused by a defect in
    design, materials or workmanship which existed, but may not have been
    apparent, when the Vehicle was manufactured

from page 24

11. Design Faults and Recalls Any damage to parts, which are being recalled by
    the Vehicle’s manufacturer or which have Inherent Design Faults are not
    covered by this Warranty.

Just to add this is the service bulletin sent to dealers that absolves car care plan of liability under their terms. For TDV6 read all V6 engines produced since then as no mods were ever made.

========================================================================================
    Reference SSM71816

Models

Discovery 4 / L319
    Discovery 3 / L319
    Range Rover / L405
    Range Rover Sport / L494
    Range Rover Sport / L320

Title Crankshaft/Crankshaft Bearing Concerns - TDv6 Diesel Engine
    Category Engine
    Last modified 06-May-2014 00:00:00
    Symptom 499000 Basic Engine

Content
    Issue:
    Crankshaft/crankshaft bearing failure - TDv6 Diesel Engine.
    Cause:
    Low incidence of crankshaft failure are being encountered, caused mainly by incorrect location of the main bearing shells during assembly, or through rotation of the shells during normal use. A new procedure has been implemented to ensure:
    - more rapid resolution of customer concerns, and
    - greater visibility of failure modes in order to improve repair process and parts delivery.

Action:
    For any suspected crankshaft/bearing failure, please contact your local Dealer Technical Support or FRED team for details of the enhanced customer handling procedure.
    The list below summarises typical symptoms of crankshaft/bearing failure, but please contact your DTS/FRED team if in any doubt as they will be pleased to offer assistance:
    a· Crankshaft is seized, engine cannot be turned either via starter motor or crankshaft pulley bolt.
    b· Oil sump or engine cylinder block is holed, with oil leakage and/or metallic debris found on engine under-tray.
    c· Engine makes a loud rumbling/knocking sound when running which worsens as the engine is placed under load. The engine oil pressure warning light may flash or be continuously illuminated, especially at low engine speeds.
    ========================================================================================

So long as your engine is the TDV6 mentioned above, then Land Rover have acknowledged that this is a manufacturing defect, and should have some liability for repair.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum