Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Volvo xc90

Folks, had my D5 for just over 3 years, and possibly considering a change, but to be honest after having every model disco from 1991, I can’t say I fancy another one.

I need something sizeable for towing our T/A caravan, and right now quite fancy a Volvo XC90, the diesel hybrid ( which is pretty much the same bhp and torque as my 2 ltr D5)

What’s the collective thoughts about a Volvo

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I presume you mean the mild hybrid?

I have to admit that I have looked at the XC90 on several occasions, but I found the D5 diesel to be very noisy and harsh. Not sure what the current diesels are like.

There is of course a totally new model due any day, so a decent discount should be achievable.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Sorry, yes it would be the B5D mild hybrid diesel

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

jimbg wrote:
    I presume you mean the mild hybrid?

I have to admit that I have looked at the XC90 on several occasions, but I found the D5 diesel to be very noisy and harsh. Not sure what the current diesels are like.

There is of course a totally new model due any day, so a decent discount should be achievable.

The D5 Volvo engine also had more vibration coming through to the steering wheel!

Before switching to JLR I was a serial Volvo driver, 11 different models over the years, latterly 2x XC70s.
    I never had the old XC90 as it had the same engine as the XC70…just lugging more weight!

I did look at the new XC90 before getting the Discovery. At the time we felt (mainly the wife) that the XC90 lacked the interior spaciousness of the Disco.

I’ve no idea how the latest Volvos ‘behave’ compared to JLR products. But we are seriously considering getting out of the anxiety (reliability, faults and dealer response) that comes with Discovery ownership and the XC90 would be first on our evaluation list.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Clarkson reviewed one recently in Sunday Times and gave it a good write up.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Anything Clarkson reviewed I would ignore. He's a buffoon., albeit a rich one!!!!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I grew up with Volvos, and my first car was a Volvo.

I have never had a BAD one, but I don't find them as "characterfull" as the D5.

When it comes down to bad road conditions (heavy snow etc) or off-road, I do NOT find their AWD system as good. It seems to react MUCH slower than the LR system.

Style-wise I am also not convinced, but that is a personal matter.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I have to agree with your perspective. The AWD system wasnt as good as the LR in difficult conditions. I guess one needs to consider how many occasions you will encounter those extreme conditions or need full off-road capabilities and decide if the `Volvos abilities are adequate for more typical use.

I also recognise the Discovery has bags of space and good design. It’s just spoiled by widespread reliability flaws and a dealer network that doesn’t seem to care for its customers. Still waiting a repair to be completed, first investigation started 16months ago!

I am not sure my commitment to off roading and design will trump reliability and service.
  • Whippetman
    England 

I had 4Volvo estates then a model 1 XC90 which was OK ish except it was a real slug and the turning circle was awful !

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Volvo XC90

I had a 2006 XC90 with a V8 (made by Yamaha). Engine was terrific but car developed a transmission problem (common) after the warranty ended. Alternator died and was going to cost $2900 to replace by dealer. Decided to replace with a D5 Si6 which is a brilliant car…after getting the windshield replaced.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I traded my D5 SD4 in on a FFRR P400e, together with my F-Type P300..

I came from a D3, then bought an F-Pace, which I found to small.

My wife wanted a smaller car than the D3 and the F-Type was too small..

But the D5 was only 3G (which buffoon decided that..) and that's phased out.

Also everywhere in the EU diesel was priced up (september 2021..) and I
    expected our government to increase diesel taxes to '..adjust the price to neighboring countries..'.
    Of course then they wouldn't normalize the roadtax for diesels, which was then € 2500 pa.

This has now been overtaken by the price hike due to the short supply of Russian oil, high on diesel content...

Anyway : I find the P400e to small, since it also has a raised floor to accommodate the batteries.

So I am now thinking of getting a D5 I6 petrol..

The P400e hybrid bit is nice to plod along the county, if it would not have been so stubborn and
    switch the petrol engine on no matter if I put it on EV ánd on ECO..

And on longer trips I don't bother to charge the 13kWh battery, only 35km..

So we bought a MX-30 BEV for the plodding and likely a P360 D5 for the long haul.. Whistle

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

They’re doing a run-out version at the moment which is a very good spec but you’ll need to get in quickly if you want to buy new as the XC90 will be discontinued soon, probably by the end of the year. The replacement is quite a different car, and a full EV.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum