Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• CRV Man
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

rear coolant pipes

Hi all just found out rear coolant pipe near fuel tank that work the rear climate control are leaking
    select landrover insurance says its not covered has any one had same problem car 5 years old 40,000 miles
    any suggestions Big Cry Big Cry
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

dont think so but I dont have rear climate, not much help I am afraid

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Re: rear coolant pipes

CRV Man wrote:
    Hi all just found out rear coolant pipe near fuel tank that work the rear climate control are leaking
    select landrover insurance says its not covered has any one had same problem car 5 years old 40,000 miles
    any suggestions Big Cry Big Cry

Im afraid select warranty is very specific in what it covers , you would need the the more expensive policy to cover your issue . As they say you get what you pay for. Im sure your issue will be more than the difference in premium . If you are going to use the car plan warranty its false economy to go for the select as even major mechanical failures will leave you with a top up to pay .
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Have to agree. There was just couple of hundred in it for me.

• CRV Man
    United Kingdom 

pipes

just found out even if i went for the expensive one, would not be covered for corrosion of pipes on rear
    climate if any one has rear climate i would check pipes Big Cry Big Cry
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

My D5 has just been in for replacement of the rear heater matrix (under warranty) I do not know what the damage was. I was obviously losing engine coolant and could smell 'burnt' coolant at the rear right hand side of the car.If its just the pipes on yours it may be a simple and inexpensive repair.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • CRV Man
    United Kingdom 

Coolant pipes

Hi job done complete pipe replacement could not repair right near joint near side of tank
    10 hour job quite expensive Thumbs Up
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Don't know exactly what was replaced on mine but it appears that access in the 'boot' area was required.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Mine just went in for a service at an independent. 6 years old, 42,000 miles. Rear coolant pipe corroded and leaking meaning it was an essential repair - 10 hours labour to replace it as the rear diff and cross member have to be replaced to get to it. £1200 fix!!! They said it's very rare on a D5 - seen it more often on a FFRR - seems to be because the HSE Luxury has the rear A/C and has a whole cooling system at the rear of the car. Moral of the story - high spec = high maintenance cost!

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • thatch10
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Mine was replaced for corrosion around 18 months ago and was in for a couple of days. Seems to be another 'feature' of the D5.
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

Is this area accessible ? Can they be sprayed with clear wax oil to prevent this?
    Any photos?
  • Disco
    United Kingdom 

Air con at rear

Sprayed new pipes with lacquer to stop salt from corroding the pipes
    I am afraid, salt and aluminium do not mix Landrover cover these pipes with rubber but Where it Bends to go up into the car there is no rubber.
    So in time, it’s corrodes Waxoil I will not do it because far as I know the pipes get hot, and the Waxoil will fall off
    Probably best if your area uses a lot of salt on the roads in winter periodically, check the pipes after winter and re-lacquer that’s one thing make sure pipes are not hot
  • MarkMc
    United Kingdom 

Hi there. I have the same problem on my 2020 HSE LUX. Does anyone know the part numbers required to fix it. Many thanks in advance.
  • Disco
    United Kingdom 

Hi it’s a complete frame work at the back of the car off 8 hours work if you get the job done spray the exposed pipes with lacquer to protect from salt
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

That's pretty shocking on a 3 year old vehicle to be replacing corroded pipes.

Can anyone give a photo or a service manual illustration of the affected pipes that should be protected?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum