Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

If I may cut across the debate for a moment to ask a question…..

Is the vulnerability of the V6 crankshaft limited to the Diesel engines or are the large petrol engines at risk?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

V6 petrol engines are a completely different design its based on the Jaguar AJ26 V8 designed by Jaguar, the V6D is a Ford/PSA design.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Crankshaft

Popsdosh wrote:

crank is exactly the same only Ford fitted mods as they were stung heavily in USA with them.

Ford didn't bring the Lion TdV6 engine to the US until the 2018 model year for the F150 under the PowerStroke badge. It lasted until MY 2021 and was discontinued because frankly it wasn't a compelling engine for pickup truck buyers - it had less HP than the lower-price EcoBoost petrol engines, and for those looking for work trucks the F250 with a PowerStroke V8 turbodiesel was preferred for its longevity and towing capacity.

The reason Ford made improvements to the Lion engine for the F150 in the US was so that it could be rated to tow 10,000lbs and still meet US light truck diesel emissions controls while towing - a full sized pickup that tows "only" 8500lbs is seen as laughable here among core pickup truck buyers. Additionally, Ford introduced the PowerBoost hybrid engine with a petrol 3.5L turbo that makes 430hp and 570lb-ft and a better combined fuel economy.

There have been relatively few crankshaft failures on JLR TdV6's here and from F150 forums, almost zero failures n the F150, but then they each only sold well in certain regions. Mine is a 2017 with almost 60k miles of hard mountain driving and off roading on it, and it's running like a champ. Just did 140 miles round trip to work and back yesterday, averaged over 26 US mpg total with 25mph headwinds on the way home at an average speed of over 60mph both directions.
  • dgardel
    Italy 

B50int wrote:
    I feel your pain. Same happened to my MY18 at 23k.

I am not aware that the inherent weakness was/has ever been addressed in the JLR variant of the v6 diesel but there does seem to be a significant element of pot luck. They did update the design of the shell bearings with locating tabs to avoid the slipping round and therefore blocking the oil ways but that mustn’t be the only failure mode. I consider myself ‘lucky’ that mine failed at low miles and the car was relatively young- JLR paid 100% for a new engine as I had always had it serviced at the main dealer. Harder to convince them at 60k and 5 years I would imagine…

I have since traded it in for a D300 ingenium straight 6. I suspect (apart from the expensive ford crankshaft mod) that it is the only way to avoid the tdv6/sdv6 crankshaft potential. Hopefully there isn’t a different design compromise in the ingenium series of engines Shocked Also a straight 6 has no need for balance shafts - another relatively common issue with 4 pots and V6’s alike -and not just JLR engines.

Best of luck with getting a replacement engine.

No balance shaft on JLR V6.....

Like all V6s on the market (AUDI, Mercedes, ....), it has 30 degrees stepped crank buttons. In this way the 60 ° V6 has moments and forces of the first and second order absolutely zero, like the 6L.
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Popsdosh wrote:

Just to add this is the service bulletin sent to dealers that absolves car care plan of liability under their terms. For TDV6 read all V6 engines produced since then as no mods were ever made.

========================================================================================
    Reference SSM71816

Models

Discovery 4 / L319
    Discovery 3 / L319
    Range Rover / L405
    Range Rover Sport / L494
    Range Rover Sport / L320

========================================================================================

So long as your engine is the TDV6 mentioned above, then Land Rover have acknowledged that this is a manufacturing defect, and should have some liability for repair.

If a similar bulletin hasn't been issued specifically mentioning the Discovery 5 or the SDv6 engine - where does that leave people? Surely they should at least update the old bulletin to include new affected models.

I'm considering a 68 plate/MY19 SDv6 HSE Lux with 29k on the clock, but this potential issue is making me hesitant. To me it's not acceptable to buy a £50k+ approved car that's only 3 years old and not only have to worry about the engine failing but also, if that did happen, the manufacturer or their chosen warranty provider not covering it.

Having been a BMW X5 driver for the past 12+ years, the engines have always been rock solid and I've never had this type of concern.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I’ve just jumped from a X5 F15 40D in to a D5.

Life’s too short, I’ve already had an issue with starting and SOS error which is down to a faculty telematics control unit. This is hopefully getting replaced this week if the parts aren’t on back order.

From what I’ve read the insured extended warranty doesn’t cover the crank as it’s an inherent design fault as outlined by a previous poster. But some people hit lucky and do get it replaced. Maybe it depends on which way the wind is blowing. I have an aftermarket 3rd party warranty anyway as not purchased in the main dealer network, if it happens, it happens and I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Once I get it back I just want to enjoy the vehicle as much as possible, it’s capabilities and practicalities. Smile
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

But then it’s not going to be very capable or practical when you’re on the motorway in Europe, hundreds of miles from home with your family onboard and the engine seizes up.

As for know design fault etc - that sounds like something JLR and their selected warranty partner should sort out between themselves.

The D5 ticks all my boxes but I’m not sure I can live with never being able to put my foot down to overtake without worrying about the engine self destructing. Is the 6 cylinder petrol engine any better or does that also have known design faults?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Aldo wrote:

From what I’ve read the insured extended warranty doesn’t cover the crank as it’s an inherent design fault as outlined by a previous poster. But some people hit lucky and do get it replaced. Maybe it depends on which way the wind is blowing. I have an aftermarket 3rd party warranty anyway as not purchased in the main dealer network, if it happens, it happens and I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

The people who 'hit lucky' are the ones who bought from a franchised dealer and have dealer service history. To be honest JLR dont shy away from doing the right thing as long as you tick the right boxes.
    3rd party warranties will all use the same escape route.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good point much overlooked. LR look for loyalty.

Whilst it shouldn’t make any difference buying your first LR, one that’s second hand, with a non franchised dealership, maybe having an Indy service history and having a 3rd party warranty, then it does unfortunately.

I purchased new from a main dealership, had it serviced by the main dealer and have the LR named warranty. On top of that it’s my 7th new LR - they really like that.

So instead of arguing the toss with LRCS and threatening to take them to court, then from experience, they go the extra mile with me and I normally get without having to get heavy.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Yep they replaced my engine and turbos FOC in my 5yo D4 that had done 70K, No issues with JLR just the dealer who should have done it.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@Popsdosh do you have a scan of the original service notice or a direct LR source for it? Don't see it on Topix here in the US. Copy/pasting from other forums is unreliable as there have been other fake service notices posted.

60k on my 2017 Td6 and it's been flawless, with hard offroad driving at altitude in low range and high RPM - but mine gets lots of long trips and is driven frequently so the crank and bearings get a good oil bath regularly.

No appreciable failure rate here in the US for the Td6 engine, which we've had since 2014 in the RRS, RR, and since 2017, the D5.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum