Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Hard to see on the photo. But if there is a "4" in front of the "G" ; yes..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Yes deffo 4G. Also I have no idea who’s paid for this SIM card. It was already in the car from previous owner!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Are you saying that before it was only 3G and since the Telematics Module replacement that it is now 4G?
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Well, probably a prepaid data sim. I have one that cost me € 30 with 3Gb.

But fun factor is : dit replacing the module make is 4G, which it was not before..
    That is a 'must-know' for others with a 3G problem..

Since JLR says its impossible to upgrade !

But it makes sense. Since the third-party supplier stopped making 3G a while ago,
    Just updated it to 4G on-the-go..

Rolling with laughter

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I can only think now they offer 4G. It’s definitely 4G on the icon on the right hand side. I disconnected my phone and it wasn’t connected showing a phone with a line through it in the left hand corner.

Cropped the photo I took.

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

2B wrote:
    Well, probably a prepaid data sim. I have one that cost me € 30 with 3Gb.

But fun factor is : dit replacing the module make is 4G, which it was not before..
    That is a 'must-know' for others with a 3G problem..

Since JLR says its impossible to upgrade !

But it makes sense. Since the third-party supplier stopped making 3G a while ago,
    Just updated it to 4G on-the-go..

Rolling with laughter

Yes I registered it in vodaphone and shows as a ‘Sure Signal’ tariff. These don’t seem to be sold anymore.

As Ive only recently just got the car, and it being in the dealership for 3 weeks or so, I wasn’t paying too much attention it if it showed 3G previously. Will see if I took any photos of the dash when I picked it up.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

What year model is it?

It was from 2018 (if I remember correctly) that they added the 4G

Mine is a very early D5 (400th of the production line!!) and only has 3G
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

The thread started like..

"..Has anyone on here looked in to "upgrading" the 3G modem in a 2017 model to the 4G model from a more recent model?.. "

So it seems that replacing the SIM module in the centre console "upgrades" the 3G--> 4G.

Probably beyond JLR knowledge as the third-party supplier only makes 4G and just produces a module that complies with the specs of the original 3G module. I dunno what these modules cost, fitting is a diddle since my dealer replaced my defect 4G-->4G in 15 minutes.. (in my Range Rover , but its the same principle ; switching the module).

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

But it can only be done my a dealer as from what has been said it need coding to the vehicle. Crying or Very sad
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Well, labout costs can hardly be an issue if it takes 15 mins.

Just inform with a dealer what a new module costs including fitting.
    If this is more then GBP 250 , it might be worth to take it to JLR after sales.

Contact JLR and point out that under EU consumer law (applicable as it was bought before BREXIT),
    a durable consumer product should be usable for 10 years/ Hence : JLR has to pay...

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I wouldn’t call it cheap labour. This and a few other jobs were just under £1800.

It definitely needs coding to the car.

Yes mine is a 18 plate.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

2B wrote:
    The thread started like..

"..Has anyone on here looked in to "upgrading" the 3G modem in a 2017 model to the 4G model from a more recent model?.. "

So it seems that replacing the SIM module in the centre console "upgrades" the 3G--> 4G.

Probably beyond JLR knowledge as the third-party supplier only makes 4G and just produces a module that complies with the specs of the original 3G module. I dunno what these modules cost, fitting is a diddle since my dealer replaced my defect 4G-->4G in 15 minutes.. (in my Range Rover , but its the same principle ; switching the module).

I would say that it is more the TELEMATICS module that needs replacing, and not the SIM Module in the centre console!!

The telematics module is in the rear behind the panels in the boot.

From what I can see from photos, the connectors all seem the same, so I don't see why it would NOT work, but JLR seem to be CLUELESS and don't know if it can be done or not.

I have also contacted JLR Customer Services, and the reply from them was "contact your dealer".

USELESS Customer Service!!
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I know. Customerservice is now for NL/BE/LU the same bunch of losers..

It could be telematics needs to be replaced, I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject.

But higher up in this tread, someone replaced the sim-module, maybe also telematics, dunno.. Confused

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

2B... Maybe I am being stupid, but I cannot see anyone saying they replaced the SIM module... They DID however replace the Telematics Module (even gave the part number).

If I am being thick and didn't read properly please correct me!!
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Maybe it is since I assumed the centre console/sim module also is a telematic module?

Would not be surprised if there are more then one anyway : the OTA/SECURE module.. ?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum