Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

So... a small update...

JRL Customer Care have replied and told me that the 2017 MY used an Actia TCU that is only 3G

https://disco5.co.uk/gallery/11032/thumb_actia%20TCU%20LR.jpg

Actia have now responded, and told me that they offered a LTE version of the TCU to JLR, but they didn't consider it "necessary", and then they went for an Asian supplier.

So... they KNEW that this would be the case, but they CHOSE not to do anything!!

The fact that they didn't chose to take the replacement shows that they didn't care.
  • kajtzu
    Finland 

Fixed the url for you https://disco5.co.uk/gallery/11032/actia%20TCU%20LR.jpg

There are a bunch of Americans who are just as “satisfied” with JLR dropping the ball on 3G network sunsets, the thread is at [url] https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-disc...210/[/url]

The way I look at it, having been exposed to product management in my past life, is that JLR focuses only on new sales. This is “fine” from their point of view, and certainly a calculated business decision, since that drives their revenue (if they could ship enough vehicles). From a customer perspective it means that once the vehicle has left the factory there won’t be much happening or any incremental development except to the following model year’s vehicles. Reading the American thread, many luxury and premium manufacturers certainly give a better impression on how much they care of their customers.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

My turn now... I have corrected your URL:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-disc...ry-109210/

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  • kajtzu
    Finland 

Appreciate it Laughing Mr. Green
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Small update on this...

My D5 is a 2017MY vehicle (going on TOPIX)

Aldo... your D5 is a 2018MY model (again... going on TOPIX)

2018MY vehicles DID support 4G, so it is normal that your vehicle shows 4G.

2017MY models (according to JLR) do NOT support 4G, and there seems to be no upgrade path. Sad
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Such a shame you can’t just install the new part and it’s 4G for you.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I agree!!

I have looked at the two parts, and for me they SHOULD work (connectors are all the same), but since they need to be programmed to the vehicle, LR claim that it is not possible to change the parts over!!

I find it surprising and not 100% sure that it really wouldn't work, but too expensive to "test" and find out that it REALLY doesn't work, and also don't want to break my D5!!

There are honestly times that I wish I still had my D2!!!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Small update... JLR CRC have been in touch. here is a copy of the email I received. I will let you make your own opinions of how they responded: I have blanked the person's name for privacy reasons.

Dear Mr. Cross,

We thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, as an importer, we cannot intervene in discussions regarding a sale made between you and your dealer. We are not a party to the sale agreement and can therefore not comment on what you were or were not told by JLR Arnold Kontz when your vehicle was sold.

JLR Belux cannot be held responsible for the fact that a 3G connection is no longer available in some EU countries. Furthermore, we have no influence on and cannot predict the decisions, beyond our control, that will make some of our applications no longer possible in the future. This is also the case with your vehicle. At the time of its production, a stable 3G connection was the most common form of mobile network so we can conclude that your vehicle does conform.

Based on the entry on the forum from which you provided us with the link, we do not have the necessary information to verify how it is possible to have an upgrade installed on the vehicle of user 'ALDO'. We also cannot assume that this was made possible by one of the dealers within the JLR network.

Since it is clear from earlier e-mail traffic that you cannot accept the information that we can provide you based on the expert knowledge of our Telematics team, it seems appropriate to us to end the discussion regarding the 3G-4G connection. If we can be of any further assistance to you, we would of course be pleased to hear from you.

We wish you a very pleasant weekend.

Kind regards,

CélXXe XXXXXXXXX
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I've been reading about 3G/4G. Its not like you can reprogram a 3G module.

The stupidity is that JLR should have kown since around 2010 that this was about to happen.
    Some managers have been wide asleep since when they were writing calls for tender
    for these units, producers will have mentioned costs for units that provided 4G and 3G,
    stating the imminent end-of-live of 3G. Most likely some warned for this as well.

So its 'cost cutting' again, choosing for cheaper 'end-of-live' electronics that saved them
    in the range of € 5,- per car.

In the EU (consumer law, so also for cars bought pre-Brexit) manufacturers are held to
    support all functionalities of 'durable goods' for 10 years post delivery date.

So a 2017 D5 needs to function 100% ( not 10% on 2G..). I think this calls for a group-claim
    in court for all JLR customers / car owners. As its not just the D5. This happens to all
    cars manufactured before 2018 !! But given pre-2016 cars are not involved, it results in
    a 2-year gap that JLR has to close.

In the USA a 'class action' could be started. Thing is : by the time a ruling can be expected,
    its almost 2027. So I assume owners would be offered like a 20-30% rebate on making the
    technical adaptations to function with 4G..

Not worth the hassle I'm afraid.

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Probably LAST update on this, but here is a copy of the e-mail that I sent to JLR CRC BELUX following the message that they sent me above:

Hello Céline,

I would like to bring to your attention one more matter related to this issue.

You say in your e-mail below that “at the time of production, a stable 3G connection was the most common …”, and that there is nothing that you can do to resolve this issue, HOWEVER… I have in writing from your supplier of the Telematics Module (actia) that they informed you of this matter, and even offered you an alternative part that WOULD have been compatible with my vehicle, and you JLR responded that “this was not necessary”. This shows that JLR knew that this issue would happen, and that they consider that this continued functioning of their client’s vehicles is not important for them!!

If you had looked properly at the forum link that I sent you, the would have read that JLR were involved in getting the replacement Telematics module working for the user Aldo.

I also consider that your last paragraph of this e-mail is not only discourteous, but actually downright rude!! You have NOT resolved the issue, and YET again JLR CRC have just made excuses for the companies that they have CHOSEN to be their dealers in Luxembourg.

Please think VERY carefully before you ask me to fill in a Customer Satisfaction survey, because I am honestly HORRIFIED by the service that you have offered.

Best regards,

Nicholas CROSS
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

And here is the reply that they have just sent me. I will leave it up to you to say if you like the way that they have answered:

Dear Mr. Cross,
    Thank you for your mail.

We are sorry to hear you feel this way.

As mentioned in our previous mails, we highly value our customer's satisfaction and are very much willing to do everything in our power to meet your expectations.

However, as stated in our previous mail also, we are unable to comply to your wishes regarding the TCU.
    For this reason, we feel compelled to close this discussion and, in the event of expansion, this case. We kindly inform you that we will not be responding to any further correspondence on this subject.
    Warm regards,
    Céline Van Ingelgem
    Jaguar Land Rover Customer Care
    T: 0800 - 227 95 (Luxembourg)
    T: 00 32 (0) 2 - 400 76 24 / 00 32 (0) 2 - 400 76 25 (Belgium)
    E: crcbelux@jaguarlandrover.com
    On_behalf
    www.c9-group.com | www.jaguar.be | www.landrover.be
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

For me this sounds as an invitation to start legal action against JLR.

This involves most pre-2018 production cars in all lines.

So someone who wants to pick this fight : make items on all forums you can think of.

You need to get at least a hundred people and a consumer organisation involved to make it work.

In the UK you could also contact your house representative.

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sadly, I don't have the will or time to do it... I am already involved in one court case, and that is enough.

If, however, anyone wants to take this on and needs/wants the information that I have... PM me.

Quote:
    You need to get at least a hundred people and a consumer organisation involved to make it work.

I doubt that JLR actually SOLD over 100 D5s in the first two years. Wink Also... of the vehicles that they sold in those first couple of years... how many are still with their 1st owner?

I think that JLR knew this, and decided to play a gamble!!

HOWEVER... I would REALLY like to know if it REALLY is impossible to just replace the module with the newer version!!

I have contacted the European Consumer Union to get their opinion, but I doubt that I will do anything more.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

They sold about 17.000 D5's in the EU in 2017 only..

https://carsalesbase.com/europe-land-rover-discovery/

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum