Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Hc76
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Engine coolant low

Last couple of days the Engine Coolant Low warning has come on about 3 times.

I have checked and it is below the ‘low level when cool’ mark.

Can I top up with water or should I add some coolant? OM says 50% water and 50% Havoline XLC anti-freeze meeting JRL spec. If I add coolant should it be this exact one?

Secondly, the coolant must have gone somewhere! No noticeable signs of any leaks. Should I get it checked or leave it until next service in 5000 miles time?

I guess top up now and see if it reoccurs,

It is 3.5 years old SDV6 with 52k miles on it. It has LR extended warranty.

Thanks
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Just top it up with coolant. It should ideally be the correct JLR one, but for a small top up any coolant of the same (pink/orange ish) colour will be fine.

They do seem to lose a small amount over time - probably just evaporation. Unless you're topping up frequently, don't worry about it.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Top up with coolant, you dont want to dilute the system. My disco showed similar symptoms also with no visible signs of a leak, I could however smell 'burnt' coolant at the rear. I naturally suspected coolant ingress into the combustion or exhaust system, Booked into dealer for investigation which confirmed coolant odour at rear but my diagnosis was wrong, turned out to be a fractured coolant pipe to the rear aircon dripping fluid onto the exhaust ( hence burnt smell) All sorted under warranty.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum