Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Talulah
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Discovery 5 stolen overnight

LR parked in front of house. About to go to work this morning and Discovery gone. No sign of break in. Both key sets still in the house.
    Now the hassle of looking for a replacement. The dilemma is that if I bought another D5 it too would probably get stolen.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Bad luck
    Wouldn’t buy anything JLR next time.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • gavsta

Very sorry to hear that. That’s terrible news and rather worrying.

Which model year was your car, and were the keys kept is a faraday bag?
  • Talulah
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Discovery 5 HSE 2018
    Both keys not in Faraday bag. My wife has seen people watching my car who then drive off when she exists the front door. So suspect the car has been cased for a while and then stolen to order.
    Insurance (Direct Line) have been pretty good but until I find out the final value I won't know just how much this has cost me.
  • gavsta

I'm not sure when Land Rover introduced ultra-wide-band radio on the Discovery, but it was certainly pre-facelift. Many manufacturers are moving to use this tech as a way to thwart relay theft. Scant comfort for you, I'm sure, with an AWOL car.

It's so upsetting, with so much false information and rumour surrounding the subject of smart keys, much of the public are confused about what to do.

The key for my current car (non-JLR) stays awake for 15 minutes after use. Despite our property being gated, we pop the keys into a faraday pouch when returning home, as that's the obvious target window for thieves.

Two things I do not know, and would like to better understand:
    1 - Did the pre-UWB JLR smart keys, enter a sleep mode?
    2 - Is theft via the OBD port a genuine risk, when combined with UWB?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, it's just this topic raises so many concerns and queries.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

From ADAC

Cars with keyless locking systems can easily be made more secure with digital radio technology . This technology uses computer chips with ultra-wide-band technology (UWB) in the locking system, with the help of which the distance between the key and the car can be determined very precisely from the propagation time of the radio signals. When using a radio extender, as is the case in this form of car theft , the car becomes unresponsive .

Fortunately , Jaguar Land Rover has been the first car manufacturer to install this technology in new models since 2018. In addition to the Discovery, according to the manufacturer, the same new keyless technology is also installed in the Range Rover , Range Rover Sport (each model year 2018), Jaguar E-Pace and i-Pace models.

Since 2019, more and more car models from Audi (A3) , Seat (Leon) , Škoda (Octavia) and Volkswagen (Golf 8 , ID.3 , ID.4 , Caddy) have also been protected with UWB . This shows that a keyless system secured according to the current state of the art is also possible in vehicles in the price-sensitive Golf class. The first models are now also available from BMW , Genesis and Mercedes , which offer the same protection with ultra-wide bands.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Talulah wrote:
    Discovery 5 HSE 2018
    Both keys not in Faraday bag. My wife has seen people watching my car who then drive off when she exists the front door. So suspect the car has been cased for a while and then stolen to order.
    Insurance (Direct Line) have been pretty good but until I find out the final value I won't know just how much this has cost me.

Gutted, sorry to hear. Did she press the remote when she noticed these people, or had she pressed the remote.

There’s cases of key cloning even in public car parks or being followed home and then cloning when locking.

Hope you get a good price, they sure seem to charge loads on insurance for these vehicles!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

All vehicles are vulnerable to the professional thieves . All they need is the weak spot which nowadays is via the CAN bus, often by just popping a light out to gain access. If they want it they will have it!!!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

There is now a recall to address security issues, owners should be getting a letter from JLR.

2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Be interesting to see what they address, build date and specs etc.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It's a software update for 2018 onward

• terryall
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

If you check for software updates on the dash and its says its up to date would that mean the security patch has been installed? Ive just bought a 2019 D5 so may enquire about this with the dealer.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Dash won't tell you if the security patch is installed, but, as this is an upgrade campaign and needs pathfinder to install, you can check on Topix if there are any outstanding campaigns. You don't need a topix subscription to find out, this shows up in the free area.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • terryall
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Done that and apparently all good. Many thanks.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Nothing for my 18
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum