Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

After only one fault in almost 3 years, the car alarm went off last night (never done that before) and when I checked the car I found water on the centre console and the left side head lining was wet at the edge of the windscreen. Contacted LR assist and they had a technician out to me within 2 hours. He confirmed that it was most likely the windscreen seal and that he would recommend the car go into the local dealer for repair and that I would be contacted to make arrangements for that and a courtesy car. Shame about the leak, but excellent support service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Happens to just about every Discovery unfortunately, surprised a 2017 car lasted this long! Whistle

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • B McP
    Scotland 

2017 was the old D5 (It's windscreen failed at 2 years !) This one is a 2020 model - thought they had fixed the issue with the windscreens but obviously not.
  • Craigp
    England 

Mines an early 2017 April. Still on original windscreen. Hope I've not jinxed it now.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Happened on mine recently when they were fitting a new engine into it. In fact the mechanic discovered it. Got stung £150 for a reseal. They said glass wasn’t covered under my LR warranty, also said it wasn’t within a certain VIN range to qualify for a free repair. I did ask about “goodwill” but was told LRCS wouldn’t entertain it as they’d just paid thousands on goodwill for my 6 week car hire when the new engine was put in.

I did make the point the two matters weren’t connected, but they seemed to have made their minds up and I didn’t push it on the basis I might need their help at some point in the future.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Really?
    My 2017 HSE LUX ex management D5 engine went at 27,000 then windscreen leaked at 30,000 miles and they paid out 100% but I had to fight tooth and nail to get a loan car for more than 10 days.
    £50 k for a second hand piece of s**t
    Sold it back to different stealer couple of months later.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, you’re right. I gone off cars tbh. I don’t care what I drive so long as it gets me there. The Disco will do meantime.

I also can’t be ar*ed with 12/18 month wait periods before getting a new car. The dealer has got you over a barrel. I can think of much more enjoyable ways to spend money rather than poking it down a LR drain. Although if you lease your car, it may be a different matter, dunno, I’ve never done that in my life, but they scr*w you one way or the other.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Drain pipe outlet.

My investigations indicate blocked "A post drain pipe". Where is the outlet? On my previous D3 I had this and it was cleared my local dealer who advised me that this was a common problem.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The leaking screen is so much more likely in a D5 . I suggest you gently spray water from a hose on the screen to confirm if there are water drops on the centre section of the dash its not a sunroof leak.. It may be a common issue in a D3but it isnt a D3 ! When I was looking for a D5 i only went to dealers when it had been raining overnight.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Thanks "Popsdosh".

Thanks POPSDOSH. By pouring water down the LH. drain pipe and had water enter the car I am now pretty certain that the proplem is a blockage in the drain pipe rather than a faulty windscreen seal. Maybe wrong though. The outlet seems to be hidden by the underbody cladding.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Screen seal.

Took car to dealer (Dungannon). Screen seal found to have failed, also drain pipe blocked. Dealer contacting JLR in respect of repair required.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good luck, I got sod all off LRCS. Rolling Eyes
  • B McP
    Scotland 

Mine was confirmed as the windscreen seal on the LHS - it took 5 weeks to get a replacement windscreen due to spares being on back order. Glad it went when it did though as the 3 year warranty expires in March this year !! Had a Disco Sport HSE Dynamic 7 for the duration - quite a nimble vehicle totally different in feel to my D5 - but I prefer my D5.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Re: Screen seal.

MAC OSX wrote:
    Took car to dealer (Dungannon). Screen seal found to have failed, also drain pipe blocked. Dealer contacting JLR in respect of repair required.
    JLR have agreed to rectify problem at their expence. To be done on Thursday 23rd February.
    Doing search for this problem revealed it occuring on other vehicles. Windscreen is not a Land Rover manufactured part but is bought in.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Maybe I was lucky?
    The windscreen technician warned me there was a chance the old windscreen could break while removing it….however he reckoned only 30% needed new glass.

He successfully removed the old screen reapplied the primer correctly to the glass (which was the manufacturing fault he said was the root cause for most d5 leaks) and stuck it back on the car.

I suppose if I had wanted to get rid of the small repaired stone chip and get new glass I might have asked him to be rougher with it. But he also said there was a week+ wait for the new screen, which I didn’t want to have.

All funded by local dealer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum