Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• bigwhite
    Turkey 

Engine failures - real reasons?

Hello everyone,

first time poster here as a potential D5 shopper.

I have been following D5 since 2017, however I could not pull the trigger and went ahead with a cayenne instead (3.0 d).

The idea of owning D5 does not go away, and the cargo space-comfort level shows it as the best selection at this moment.

However, I have been reading about lots of engine failures (sd4) for D5 and any other LR car with the same engine (RRS etc). these engines do fail even at 15-20k miles, and there are cars with 3rd engine replacement on the market, no Oem fixation seems to solve the issue.

Being a cayenne owner (overdesigned SUV in my opinion, flawless from every point so far, however we do not fit in anymore even with a giant roof box...), I would like to be sure about D5 before I pull the trigger.

What is the real reason for engine failures?

Is there any real preventive control, check, part(s) replacement for this engine to keep it functional for an acceptable service life?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Both engines are a lottery and each has its own weak points . SD4 its rings and loss of compression and on the SDV6 its the good old snapping crank.
    Nothing will help they either go or they dont.
  • Whippetman
    England 

From my experience with LR dealerships and 5 LR vehicles I’d avoid changing.
    The various models look great and are comfortable however their reliability is more than questionable and the back up is very hit and miss.
    Yes if you are in or have warranty then you will probably be covered for major failures but should one have to buy a car knowing that a £1000 plus warranty is necessary for peace of mind?

Great designs but hopeless reliability and back up..

Last edited by Whippetman on 18th Mar 2023 3:15 am. Edited 1 time in total

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I've seen an embargoed news story about LR engine reliability issues (not from LR, but a third-party) which I'll publish in a new thread on Tuesday when the embargo has passed. It's quite interesting, and points to a particular issue behind the engine failures.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I think the only lesson here is, don't buy the SD4 / Ingenium 2.0.

The Td6 was (is still) rock solid. The TDV6 twin turbo likewise doesn't seem to have any issues. Here in the US, the Si6 was perhaps the best petrol engine JLR has ever offered.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

They have certainly had crank issues in the V6 in the UK
  • bigwhite
    Turkey 

747_JK wrote:
    I've seen an embargoed news story about LR engine reliability issues (not from LR, but a third-party) which I'll publish in a new thread on Tuesday when the embargo has passed. It's quite interesting, and points to a particular issue behind the engine failures.

any news on this?
  • bigwhite
    Turkey 

DieselRanger wrote:
    I think the only lesson here is, don't buy the SD4 / Ingenium 2.0.

The Td6 was (is still) rock solid. The TDV6 twin turbo likewise doesn't seem to have any issues. Here in the US, the Si6 was perhaps the best petrol engine JLR has ever offered.

Taxation (here we I live) is based on the volume of the engine. To give you an idea, it looks like;

Car with engines upto 1600cc (98cu,in)--> 80% special consumption tax+18% vat
    engines between 1600-2000cc ( (122 cu,in)--> 150% special consumption tax+18% vat
    engines over 2000cc--->Special consumption tax 220% and 18% vat

It is not logical to buy Disco with a 3lt engine here.

Theoretically, same car, 50.000 usd without taxes would be invoiced as;

-106.200 usd if its engine is 1600cc
    -147.500 usd if it is 2000cc
    -188.800 usd if it is above 2000cc

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

bigwhite wrote:
    any news on this?

Posted it here...
    https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3612.html

I'm nothing to do with this story, to be clear. I just have a journalist friend who shared it with me, as they'd received it when the embargoed press release came out. No comments on the thread yet, but would be interested to hear if anyone signs up. My father's Disco Sport has had several DPF-related breakdowns, so I think he'll join the claim for that reason alone!

But he's given up on LR. Four-year PCP ends in a few months, local dealer quotes 9-12 months for a new Disco Sport (but he's seen from my experience their lead times mean nothing), so he's going back to BMW after 10 years away (he'd always had BM's before I tempted him to get a Freelander when I moved to Discovery's). New X3 hybrid ordered at the weekend, and I have to say, it looks an incredible car...

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum