Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Rasping noise through air vents

Just recently had this rasping noise start which seems to be coming through the air vents at the front.

Its not there when the car is first started but seems to appear after some time and definitley gets worse if you crank the air speed up.

Anyone else had this issue (MY21 D300 HSE)?

Thanks,

Adam
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

So car went in to the dealer today and looks like it’s the classic windscreen bonding issue! Waiting for them to get a replacement w screen in before they fix.

Wife had said that she thought it was dependent on which way the wind was blowing, kind of makes sense now! Rolling with laughter
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

just typical JLR how long has this bonding issue been going on .
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Ever since the D5 was launched.

I remember reading about a leisure vehicle manufacturer installing a super duper mega expensive robot assembly machine that eliminated several workers jobs. Unfortunately it ran a whole shift without any bonding adhesive as its programming/design didn’t include a feedback check on adhesive flow.

Maybe they sold it to JLR.

Rolling with laughter
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Shocking when you think how long they have been making the D5, and they still can't get it right.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Whippetman
    England 

I’ve heard it said that LR policy is why bother to fix it if people are still happy to wait 12 months or more to buy a D5..
    Odd mentality?

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

A month on and no ETA for a replacement windscreen.

And now its started leaking as well. Had LR Assist out who "crash wrapped" the top of the windscreen (basically clear sticky back plastic) to help seal it. Unfortunately now can't drive faster than 40mph as the wind get underneath it and makes a right racket. So basically not driveable.

Complained to LR Assist but they said take it to the dealer. Dealer can't get LRA to provide a courtesy car so now have put in claim with LR to see if they will cover. Its all a bit ridiculous!

How have others got on getting a replacement windscreen/courtesy car under warranty?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

What happens if a "rock" was to crack your screen as you drive it down the road, and your range Autoglass for a replacement under your warranty? Wink

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I did wonder about this. But wasn't sure how LR would react in regards to existing warranty?

Surprised that LR don't just outsource it to AG if they have stock.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sorry, when I wrote 'warranty', I actually meant 'insurance'. I mean, for the £50 excess, if it was this much of an annoyance, I'd be tempted. But it could impact on renewal premiums as these screens aren't cheap...

But I'd be tempted to check availability for an OE screen with Autoglass (or similar), and then politely make merry hell with the dealer and demand this be resolved via this third-party route given they prove incapable of doing it themselves...

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Knowing LR, if they did agree to an auto glass option they would probably then indemnify themselves against any future warranty claims and should anything else happen in the mild vicinity of the windscreen they would blame AG!

Pic of the ridiculous ‘crash wrap’ which now looks a lot worse and has to be pushed back down after every journey!

• Whippetman
    England 

I talked to an AG fitter and he said Land Rover is their main daily work load…..

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    Knowing LR, if they did agree to an auto glass option they would probably then indemnify themselves against any future warranty claims and should anything else happen in the mild vicinity of the windscreen they would blame AG!

Pic of the ridiculous ‘crash wrap’ which now looks a lot worse and has to be pushed back down after every journey!

Gulp!

I'd be tempted to ask Auto Glass how much to remove and refit the windscreen properly. That looks awful. If the original screen is still there, I doubt any dealer will be able to tell the difference between factory fit & refit. It's not like you can see/test the adhesive.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Problem would be if original screen cracks when being removed then you are in a real mess!

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

And that isn't!! Very Happy

Given that they use wire all round the screen to cut the existing adhesive, which seems to work really well when I've seen it done, my old XK-R had several windscreen changes as the slightest chip would always grow rapidly, the biggest risk is them dropping it lifting it off ... or putting a new one in to be fair. There's little to no stress on the existing windscreen doing this.

AG were always pretty good at cleaning off the old adhesive from the car, and I'm sure would be able to remove it from the windscreen too...

They even came back and replaced one windscreen under their warranty when one side of the heating elements failed.

Always had a good experience with them so far. No cling film or gaffer tape ... Shocked
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum