Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• CJS
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Clanking/Grinding Sound

I only recently purchased a 21 plate HSE R-Dynamic. I am getting a clanking (as if metal is knocking together) sound between 500 and 800rpm. By 1,000rpm it has disappeared. It can be heard both accelerating and when the car is losing speed. If I am crawling in traffic in town passers by on the pavement can hear it! The dealer squeezed it in for an hour and thought it may be a loose heat shield or something else that needed to be tightened. He found a few missing bolts and thought this might have fixed it - it hasn't. Now booked in for two days so they have time to investigate - but not for a few weeks. This is not just a vibration or a hum - it is loud. Any ideas anyone?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Possibly the accessory belt & tensioner. Apparently they forgot to tighten the bolts on the AC bracket properly causing it to come loose, vibrate and wear out the belt and tensioner.

There is a service bulletin for it somewhere. If it is that, it will need a new belt, tensioner, AC bracket and bolts.

Call LR assist and get them to check it out.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • CJS
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks for this. I will get the dealer to check it.
    I remember having a similar sound on my Discovery 4 and it was a heat shield.
  • Fer
    Spain 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Scotia Grey

Hello, if the sound is like a metallic knocking, I would try to remove the metallic protector under the engine, in my case it was that, the reason was unknown, I removed the insulator that comes from the factory and put adhesive insulator in its place and it no longer sounds .
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum