Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s illegal to hold onto your car pending payment of a bill. So long as you provide them with your details, then they have to let you have the car and can chase you up via their Solicitor/Court.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

I think a lot depends whats in they're T&Cs ! Anyhow not an argument thats easy to have when you have a lorry waiting to pick up your vehicle(from150 miles away) and the dealership its in wont release it. JLR paid it back later on when I made a complaint to CS but took a long time . Lots more could be said but it was an eye opener on JLR inter dealer politics so much for a universal warranty thats dealt with anywhere.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

True, but no matter what’s in their T&Cs, it doesn’t over ride your common law rights to the vehicle. I’ve seen first hand owners in that situation, phone the Police and theyve put the dealer straight and the cars returned pretty post haste.

It’s a technical theft to hang onto the car and if the dealer refuses, the Police can arrest them for a failure to desist. I saw that once too although the Police never got to the actual arrest stage. I suppose it makes a difference whether you get a Rookie cop nor sure of the law or an experienced one, who doesn’t take to asking people more than once and who doesn’t take well to the dealer threatening to bill the Police if there’s a default. Rolling with laughter
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

So my 2018 Discovery needs a new engine due to the well known cylinder issue. It's the 2 litre engine. Question is once repaired do I sell it and get a 3 litre, are those engines any better and more reliable. Worried now once repaired under warranty it will happen again in a few years.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had a new engine. I would sell it personally. Mine goes fine, but it lacks the grunt it once did,

I changed when I had a D4 after a gearbox issue. Never sounded right afterwards.

I hung onto the D5 simply because I don’t need it to be reliable. I’ve got other vehicles that can be depended on plus I can’t be bothered going into dealerships and the usual merry go round.

I’d change it for a Volvo if I did. I certainly wouldn’t go back to LR. I shouldn’t need to purchase a £1k plus warranty outside the manufacturers warranty. A Censored useless company with its head up its Censored
  • Whippetman
    England 

I’m with you on that one.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Question is will the car feel quicker then before if all cylinders working, said from day one it felt sluggish and laggy when you press the accelerator 18 months ago.
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

So we got our 2018 HSE back 2 weeks ago with new engine fitted and it's already done it again, lost power at a motorway junction and stalled at traffic lights, has no power when you put your foot on the gas etc. So what now! The car was at the dealers for a month having a new engine under warranty fitted and within 2 weeks it's done the same thing again, very very dangerous.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not unknown a friend of mine just had his 4th in a DS . Its the main reason they are so unpopular to buy.
  • Whippetman
    England 

RUN!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Disappointing, can you exchange up for a 3.0?

The trouble is that nothing hits the spot like these 5’s (most of the time) Cool
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

changing up to a 3.0 doesnt take the risk away as the crank timebomb will eventually catch up with them..
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Don't think any of the 3.0L (Td6 or SDV6 or D3xx) have had widespread crankshaft failures.

The Td6 in the US has been bombproof.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum