Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rover89

2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

[Tyres] Going from stock Goodyear Eagle F1 AT to Duratrac??

Hi folks. My '18 Discos front tyres are in a bad way. Only bought the car from the LR dealer in October so surprised just how quick they went downhill...

Anyway, car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 ATs 255/55/R20, tempted to put on Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs of same size.

The Disco will be 80% roaduse 20% fieldwork, pulling trailer etc. Probably overkill for this use but I also love the rugged look of these, they'll be great in winter rains/snow/mud also.

Anyone made this move before and can tell me what to expect in terms of noise/handling/mpg/longevity compared to the eagles?

Other option readily available is Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season NCS..

Thanks!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Ok… hope this helps….

I have done this change. Went from 22” down to 20” with Duratracs in summer and 20” with General Grabber AT3 in the winter.

Duratracs as distinctly noisier than standard road tires!! You WILL notice the difference!! BUT… I don’t find them too noisy and I do a lot of mileage with my D5

Longevity… I have had mine for about 30000kms and they are not even half worn. So I think that they last very well.

Road-holding… dry… I have no complaints at all. They do not hold as well as a street tire, but I have never skidded them so I have no complaints.
    Wet… similar… I have not had any issue with them loosing traction.
    Snow… NOT as good as they should be. They are not bad, but the GG AT3 are much better in the snow than the Duratracs. Remember… the Duratracs are not actual winter tires, so the rubber goes hard during the winter in cold temperatures.
    Off-road… excellent. I have taken mine off-road in muddy fields etc and have never got stuck yet (although I do have a winch in the front just in case).

Bottom line… I have the Duratracs and have no plan to replace them with something else, but I DO use proper winter tires during the winter period.
  • rover89

2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

This is what I came here for, awesome input, thank you!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Can't comment on the Duratracs, but I run GGAT3s 255/55R20 all year round. I find they perform better on and off road than the standard Pirellis which I still have on a spare set of matching wheels so that I can change anytime I want to. The pirelli's haven't been used.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Duratracs are better off-road than the GG AT3s, but are noisier on road.

They last longer than the AT3s though

But...

It all depends how you drive... The D5 is not a sports car!!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Take a look at Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure. There's a Land Rover spec that's for the Defender, but they fit the Disco just fine. Very quiet on road, good enough for the Rocky Mountains off-road where I live, but utter Censored in snow and ice.

I keep my 20" OE wheels for winter tires and I switched to Compomotive PD 1881 18" wheels with the All Terrain Adventure in 255/70-18 for my summer set.

I too am about 80/20 on/off-road, but when I'm off road, it's on some pretty rugged stuff.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum