Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Brand new Metropolitan Edition goes on a French road trip!

We were really lucky to take delivery (finally) of our Metropolitan Edition just 10 days before our long-planned family 15-night holiday to Paris, and then the Dordogne region of France, and then on the Alps. And we're just back, via the EuroTunnel:

Must say I was slightly nervous taking a car with 400 miles on the clock into the centre of Paris, especially as whilst we were on the Peripherique the artic we were following rear-ended the car in front, heavily! Jeez that was close.

But the car's back home now, with 2,200 additional miles added, and WOW, what a motor! I'm thrilled with my decision to go for another Disco. What I've really appreciated with the new model is:

* Four-zone air con. It hit 105 degrees when we were in the Dordogne, and the extra cooling power for my two kids came into its own. As did the air-cooled seats, which whilst weaker than we had hoped for, still have a substantial impact on days when it's that hot. The ability to pre-cool the car is also fabulous, and something I really appreciated with the last Disco too.

* On a full tank I'm not getting a range of 545 miles. Never had it this high on my MY2019 - is this the "impact" of the battery support?

* In my MY2019, I always used Apple Maps for SatNav, which trumped the older LR system. Really like the new PiviPro LR system in the UK, but on the Continent, where the road layouts are a little different to ours, I wasn't a fan. Quickly switched to Apple Maps in central Paris.

* I think the Pivi Pro set-up is very strong. Great that my phone can be connected, but my wife's phone can also join and power the music. Really clever to have a two-phone ability.

* On the journey home yesterday, it offered me the 35-min OTA software upgrade so I set it running at a service station whilst we ate breakfast. Now with Apple Maps showing on the instrument binnacle, it's even better.

* I find with HUD, I'm not looking at the dials nearly as much as I used to. For speed checks, it's always the HUD.

* Ride comfort is sublime. My old car didn't have Adaptive Dynamics; there's a noticeable difference.

* Terrified of scratching the black alloys - my last car went back after 5 years without a single scratch to the regular coloured 20" alloys, but the Dunlop tyres I had as OE on that car had very 'sticky-outy' shoulders which meant the tyre's sidewall took any impact rather than the wheel itself. The 21s look less forgiving! And I guess black would look awful if scratched/chipped.

* Black wheels on black paint, with a black interior and the silver Metro bits and pieces on the outside really looks the business. Car attracted a lot of positive looks.

* Seat-back USB charging kept iPads fully charged for the kids on the 12-hr journey home yesterday. So handy!

I just love it in every way. Great on the mountain switchbacks, sublimely comfortable eating 650 miles in a single day on motorways and all four of us give it a big thumbs up as the best car - by far - that we've ever had.

In the Dordogne, and outside our first rental:

Can't say I enjoyed roads this narrow when you met something big!

Beautiful little villages to visit all over the region:

Though had to keep her looking her best, so found a good jet wash!

Outside our second place, in Flumet, in the Alps (near Chamonix) - too many spectacular roads to drive around there, and sadly didn't get any pics of the car as was too busy driving. But huge amounts of fun!:

Oh, and spotted this car in the pack of support vehicles following the Tour de France as it came by us - must have been helping a UK rider?! Anyone on the forum?!

Haven't holidayed in France before, not since a school trip in '97, but it was really good fun!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • sudds
    United Kingdom 

Looks very nice, glad you are enjoying the Disco after your wait Thumbs Up
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Great trip report, sounds like the car was brilliant in the holiday role.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum