Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dixie Dean
    United Kingdom 

Wheels and Tyres

Hi guys. Wondering whether 22" wheels and tyres on a car that will mostly be used for towing will be too hard a ride. Would I be better downgrading to 21"s or 20"s even? What's you thoughts?
    Also how do the various sizes compare when coming to replacing them at the end of their lives?
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

I’m towing with 22s it’s just fine..

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Wheels and Tyres

Dixie Dean wrote:
    Hi guys. Wondering whether 22" wheels and tyres on a car that will mostly be used for towing will be too hard a ride. Would I be better downgrading to 21"s or 20"s even? What's you thoughts?
    Also how do the various sizes compare when coming to replacing them at the end of their lives?

I started with 22” and switched to 20”, not because of towing but quite simply because the 22” are too hard on the typical A&B roads where we mostly drive on a day to day basis.

Having now towed with both sizes in my experience the difference between 22” & 20” when towing is no different to the feel when driving solo.

The only point I would add is that more often than not when ‘away with the caravan’ we do a lot more country road driving, so from that perspective the change to 20” has made the whole experience better.
  • sudds
    United Kingdom 

I tow a 25ft caravan with 22's on and find it ok, I have towed with 20' and 21's and didn't notice any real difference. The only thing I do is inflate the tyres for heavy load, front 37 and rears at 50psi it makes for a more comfortable ride with the van on. Tried it once at normal load and the Disco feels very floaty on the back end.

Just need to drop them down again for running about as you do tend to bounce up the road otherwise Smile
  • highbridgeflyer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Indus Silver

As Sudds said above, I think the most important thing is not size but pressures. I tow a race shuttle with a rally car in, and have to do the 37/50psi to make it remotely handle well with a big load on the back.
  • Dixie Dean
    United Kingdom 

Cheers guys. Very reassuring. I've order the car with 22s, but might see if any boy racers want to swap their 21s for 22 when it arrives, as 22" tyres appear to be two third to double the price of 21s.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum