Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Villager
    United Kingdom 

Most Reliable Engine

Hi all,

Long time D4 owner here (I'm on my third) thinking of switching to an early D5 but worried about tales of catastrophic engine failure. Sounds like both the 2 and 3 litre diesels can go pop even at low mileage. I suppose my question is are the petrol engines any more reliable? I don't do huge miles so could live with the lower mpg if it meant I was less likely to have a 5 figure bill.

TIA

Dean
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've seen very few reports of problems with the petrol engines, but there are very few D5s running on petrol so is the lack of problems due to the rarity rather than reliability?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Had my D5 3.0litre diesel for 4 years and 9 months, 50,500 miles, and not a single mechanical issue in all that time, bar a battery which needed replacing after 3 1/2 years. Engine has always purred very smoothly. But I wouldn't think of owning one without an extended warranty...

Hope I've not blown my luck for the last week of ownership now.....

As for engine issues, I was plagued with them with my first 2010 D4. Engine failed in first year of ownership and both engines smoked so badly on start-up that it became quite a well known car over on the Disco4 website. And as LR wouldn't fix it, I ran it with stickers in the rear window apologising to other road users and blaming LR. Them were the days!

https://www.disco4.com/forum/is-problem-wi...55820.html

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Lots of the Si6 engines here in the US - exact inverse of the sales in UK/EU. That engine has been around a long time here in multiple JLR vehicles and seems to do very well.

My 2017 Td6 (the single-turbo VVT Lion engine, not the twin-scroll SDV6 - we never got that here) has had absolutely zero issues in nearly 75,000 miles with hard off-roading, long road trips, mountainous roads, and very high altitude (>6,000 ft elevation up to nearly 13,000 feet). When I talk with my local service center, they echo that these two engines have been the best they've ever seen from Land Rover.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I’d say the risk of a 3.0 D5 is no worse than a D4, both can suffer crank issues, initially more reported on the D4’s which I guess are depleting as owners upgrade or the D4’s come to the end of their trusty lives.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

The SDV6 is a great engine in the D5. Mine hasn't had an issue in all the years I have owned it. As far as I am aware, Land Rover usually steps in with goodwill to fund the new engine if you are in the small minority that have a crank issue, but I don't know at what age/mileage/number of owners that stops happening.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Aldo wrote:
    I’d say the risk of a 3.0 D5 is no worse than a D4, both can suffer crank issues, initially more reported on the D4’s which I guess are depleting as owners upgrade or the D4’s come to the end of their trusty lives.

Exactly the same engine in a pre ingenium D5 as a D4 so I think its still a potential longer term issue as they get older. Oddly enough Ford now using the Lion again however with a redesigned crank. Which was not made available to JLR. Still plenty of D4 giving up and being a significant end of life reason.

Last edited by Popsdosh on 26th Jun 2023 7:17 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

discus wrote:
    The SDV6 is a great engine in the D5. Mine hasn't had an issue in all the years I have owned it. As far as I am aware, Land Rover usually steps in with goodwill to fund the new engine if you are in the small minority that have a crank issue, but I don't know at what age/mileage/number of owners that stops happening.
    Up to 7 years with D4 with a full JLR service history and help from the dealer dealing with CS .
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Popsdosh wrote:
    Exactly the same engine in a pre ingenium D5 as a D4 so I think its still a potential longer term issue as they get older. Oddly enough Ford now using the Lion again however with a redesigned crank. Which was not made available to JLR. Still plenty of D4 giving up and being a significant end of life reason.
    People have claimed, without any evidence, that later production of the JLR engines did get a better crank. However I think this was after D5 started. You'd like to think it might have come with the increase in HP when the MY2019 was introduced with the SDV6 engine, and it went from 250 to 300 bhp. Would certainly be nice to know for definite.
  • Villager
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all.

What's the lowest replacement engine cost one could expect, if using an independent rather than a main dealer?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just wanted to make a small comment…

The D5 engine is not QUITE the same as the D4 engine.

There are differences in the EGR and exhaust systems… and possible small other differences.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum