Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Coming back to Landrover

I’m thinking of buying another Landrover, I’ve been away for a couple of years because of my problems with my Discovery and JLR,s poor after sales service.

My Discovey 5 was the best car I’ve owned even with the problems, I was looking at the Volvo XC90 or perhaps the 2024 new Toyota Land Cruiser but still the Discovery is my 1st choice.

It’s going to be my retirement car so I’ll be keeping it for 5 or 6 years minimum, I love the 2021 model and my budget will be about 47k. My mind says Volvo for the reliability but my heart is saying Discovery,

Once you’ve owned and drive a Discovery all other cars seem to be second place.

Let me know what you guys think I should go for a XC90 or Discovery, I believe December or January is a good time to buy a car and good deals are to be had because winter months cars aren’t selling ?

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • terryall
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I had exactly the same decision to make in what to choose as a long term retirement present/car. After 8 land rovers I decided on a 2019 Discovery 5 HSE Lux and absolutely love it. They don’t have the hands on appeal of a Disco 3 or 4 but at my age I just wanted comfort/luxury driving. I went with the 3ltr as read a few horror stories on here about the 2 ltr engine. I also looked at the Volvo and just about all the other competitors but still came back to Land Rover but with a little anxiety over reliability as it’s the most I’ve ever spent on a car. So far so good after a year but I did take out an LR Extended Warranty just in case.
    Whatever you buy enjoy it and we look forward to hearing about your new LR purchase soon! Rolling with laughter
  • Chalkey
    England 

Hi thanks for the reply my last Discovery was a 2lt which I had no problems with the engine. The problems were the windscreen leaking twice after being repaired and cooling fluid loss, because off a burst pipe which was rubbing against the body.

My choice will be a 3lt 21 reg there just in my price range, hopefully after Christmas the price will drop a little. I’m looking at a main dealers so I get 12 months warranty, prices at none dealerships seem to be the same and private sellers ask to much. Thumbs Up

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I'd definitely do it, provided you can get a clean vehicle with a good service history and warranty. And that you've got the budget to ensure the warranty doesn't lapse.

I don't know when the bigger screen / improved ICE system was launched (I think 21?), but I'd want to ensure it had that too if it was to be my vehicle for a good number of years moving forwards.

The leap between my first Sept 2018 D5 and my recent June 2023 vehicle was significant. Far more than I expected it to be!

And the only thing on the newer car which I like less that the old car is the 'transmission shifter', or whatever it's called. I like it's style, versus the rotary selector, but I really don't like the inputs. And I now always check in the HUD display to ensure R or D is selected correctly before pressing the power pedal!

Keep up posted when you get back behind the wheel of a D5, and I hope you find the perfect vehicle.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Chalkey
    England 

Thanks for the reply, yes your right 21 reg is the up dated version. I'll probably go for a S or SE so I’ve go money left to extend the warranty. I definitely keep the forum informed Thumbs Up

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

If you’re retired and don’t need I the space, forget a D5, take a Volvo XC40/60/90.

I love the XC60 recharge, it’s flying machine, a 0-60 of just over 4 seconds.
  • Chalkey
    England 

I love the size of the Discovery, in other over seas markets they do the Discovery in 5 seats which would suit me and have a larger boot. The XC90 is only available as a 7 seater Big Cry

I think the manufacturers have got it wrong lots of people want a big cars but with 5 seats. It would be a good idea if the most rear seats could be taken out and stored to free up space in the boot.

We planning touring holidays around the Uk perhaps even over the France 🇫🇷

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

The size is handy, but only because I was continually decanting two students. As you move on, the family slims down a bit and I don’t need the space.

I also think the price of new LRs is excessive. I buy with cash and it grieves me to give the dealer £65k plus.

These days I’d rather chuck the money into property although thats been tempered by complex letting legislation and a 6% Additional Dwelling Supplement Tax that I paid recently in Scotland. Rolling Eyes

And not least by pain in the neck tenants who don’t pay any rent but want everything fixed there and then - aka my eldest and his GF! Laughing
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My 2017 HSE Td6 has been utterly flawless. It's owned outright, and is still our family Sherpa. I've made some upgrades - Compomotive 18" wheels, Defender-spec tires, some HI Yellow fogs in the grille, and Lucky8 rock sliders and bash plate.

I'll drive this thing until the wheels fall off!
  • Chalkey
    England 

Some great replies I’ve got a decent budget so l might go to a 19 / 20 reg low mileage high spec, I’m hoping winter time I’ll be spoilt for choice and get a great car.

• GLYNNE
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

I retired a year ago and had a 20 plate Discovery 5 Commercial with rear bench. Lovely vehicle in every way as all my Discoveries have been over the years. What aggrieved me was that I couldn’t take it into London without being charged although it’s exactly the same as the 7 seater equivalent which is fine!

So I decided to let the D5 go and bought a New Defender as a present to myself. That lasted about 6 months whilst I was fighting to convince myself how great it was when it just wasn’t.

So I bought my Old D4 back off my daughter so that I have a LR to bleed me dry still 😂 I have also purchased a Tesla model Y which I absolutely love. It suits us down to the ground with what we do these days. We are always in and out from Londons West End visiting the theatres. I now get in the D4 and question myself as to why I still have it.

Would I have another D5? Yes. Do I think you could find a nicer alternative? Well, only you no the answer to that I guess.

I can categorically say that if it wasn’t for my excellent Indy I wouldn’t own a LR product anymore due to the Dealerships.

Good luck in your decision and keep us updated.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Having had various Discoveries over the years and having had a few issues which have always been sorted, I am generally pleased with the car. However, I have just replaced my MY21 plate with a MY23.5 and even though the last one had PIVI PRO and the new 3.0 straight six diesel, this latest one is a step up again. It is very smooth and far better on fuel than even my last one.
    My advise would be to get the latest one you can and if you can stretch to it the PIVI Pro and new engine variant.
    As for XC90, my lad has just had one for a couple of months, he said it was OK but he could not get used to the portrait style screen and the car always sounded very tinny and cheap when closing the doors.
    Let us know what you get and how you get on

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I would definitely try and stretch to a facelifted MY21 if you can. The problem that brings is there haven't been that many built which helps keep the price a bit higher. However they stopped building the previous car early too to concentrate on the new Defender, so later examples of the non-facelift are also thin on the ground.

The other thing to keep an eye out for is that whilst the fully digital display (IDD) was standard on the facelift at launch, it was soon replaced with one with dials and a smaller screen (for free!) on all models up to HSE! With the new Pivi 4.x release, which added Apple CarPlay being able to use the IDD screen, you'll miss out as that isn't supported on the dials version. Also I just think it's wrong on a car as expensive as the D5. Pivi in general though is excellent and way better than the previous system.

The D300 (good luck finding many D250's) is an excellent engine, and the one to get if you can, although if you can find one the D250 is perfectly adequate and still way better than the previous engines. Again, with 'Covid' LR prioritised higher margin models so made the D250 unavailable. (It's still MIA)

Other things that vanished from the 'launch' facelift cars were click & go bases, electric steering wheel adjust, higher spec audio systems, premium cabin lighting, gesture tailgates and lockable fuel flaps, HSE also lost fully electric seat folding, but frankly you're better off without it as it's too slow, and after the doors have been open a while just stops working anyway until you go round closing all the doors or turn on the ignition. Also if someone presses the wrong button the boot, chaos ensues with the electric seats as they take a while to realise perhaps they can't move where they want to!
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

I thought no Interactive Driver Display would be a negative when told it was dropped from my 23 D300 but Pivi screen is so good I dont want more maps Infront of me. You cant get rid of Rev counter with IDD anyway so its not that interactive really.
  • Chalkey
    England 

Your right I should try and get a 21 reg, my last Discovery was a SE and I was happy with the spec. The cheapest 21 I’ve seen was a S and the spec seems to be like my old SE which would be fine for me.

Once Landrover’s in your blood it’s hard to change, my past 5 cars have been Landrover’s, three of them being brand new. With retirement I can’t justify spending to much on a car, Ian your definitely right I have noticed the 21 reg cars S & SE models are in short supply.

I’m getting some great advice and I’ll keep you all informed, my money is in premium bonds which I’ll be cashing in once the right car comes along.

But a worried about closing my premium bonds, my numbers could have come up Big Cry and I could have won mega bucks. Then get my self a New Range Rover Sport. Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Chalkey on 19th Sep 2023 6:08 pm. Edited 2 times in total

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum