Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Another Metropolitan doing French trips!

Thought I should do a quick intro seeing as I've now had the car for about 2.5 months and been busy racking up over 4000 miles already! So, D300 Metro, with the 21 inch wheels that are now a Ā£1500 option if you want to change from the standard 22's... Went with them for a bit more ride comfort and because I think they still look ok.

Not a fan as you can see of the all black look, although I do think the valance covering the towbar at the rear would look better in body colour instead of all out silver.

Must be something about Metropolitans and French trips, the car did brilliantly en-France bar the few foibles Pivi Pro 4.0.0 introduced whilst out there. Still nice to know SOTA isn't restricted to being in the UK!

We had to make a protective flap for the gloss black bumper (who thinks gloss black everything is the way forward) to stop the dog from scratching it to bits, looks a bit heath robinson, but does the job and folds neatly round the tailgate flap.

Used the Land Rover half height partition, divider and quilted protection which works well. Dog is happy Smile

Hopefully next year we can find some trails in the Pyrenees to explore that are a bit more off the beat track and can play with this ...

No real issues to report, build quality is good, love the engine and the economy. Best trip so far was a ridiculous 56mpg from the top of the Pyrenees to Lourdes.

Finally, for those of an OCD persuasion, it seems I picked the same colour/wheel combination as the Pivi graphics designers which makes the screen look more personalised... of course it might be personalised and I'm just assuming it isn't!!

I think it's an amazing car, which is lucky as after waiting 26 months for it, it needed to be!!
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Nice to hear you are pleased with your Metro. I have ordered a Metropolitan, I have asked the dealer to paint the front and rear Valence in the Verisine blue which I have ordered. I agree with you about the 21 inch wheels but I refuse to pay extra just to get the smaller wheels.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Indeed, the mind boggles on how they came to think charging Ā£1500 for smaller wheels was the thing to do. It seems they think they know best and you're going to pay big if you don't happen to agree. Perhaps that kind of thing works up in full fat Range Rover SV land where people like the idea of their car being curated, but I'm not sure it applies on more family orientated models.

Fortunately I managed to get them when they were still free, however, got stung for the full size spare as the space saver was not orderable leaving you with a choice of a can of gunk or full size. Just beware that if you go can of gunk, none of the fittings required, or heat shields are under the car making adding a spare wheel a lot more tricky (and expensive) than it should be!
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Yes I have had to order a full size spare. I can't believe that the space saver is not available anymore what are LR thinking šŸ¤”. Just a way to get another Ā£1k out of the customer I guess.

Last edited by BigCol66 on 20th Sep 2023 4:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Looks like a fantastic trip, and a fantastic dog!

Would have gone 21ā€™s as well if they were free but Iā€™m blowed if Iā€™m going to pay extra for them.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Super to hear you had such a good trip - and I love the customisation for the four-legged friend too!

Having just done another 480 miles in mine today (mostly in driving rain), I genuinely cannot think of a car I'd rather drive long-distance. Felt totally refreshed at the end of it too.

Now you'll have to get planning the next overseas adventure!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition ā€“ Santorini Black ā€“ Ebony Windsor Leather ā€“ 21ā€ Style 5025 gloss black wheels ā€“ 21ā€ full size spare tyre ā€“ Black roof rails ā€“ Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

As part of the farce that was my order, I borrowed the dealers Metropolitan over Easter to go to France, and that had the standard 22" wheels.

Obviously French roads are a bit smoother than here, but I don't recall it ever feeling uncomfortable. There was a bit of tyre slap on the M25 concrete section, but that was the only tyre related observation I can remember.

The wheels hadn't fared so well prior to that trip though as on the day we were supposed to pick it up, they noticed a puncture, so got the tyre changed only to notice that one of the wheels was buckled so it still wouldn't hold air... the only 'spare' wheel of that type in the UK just happened to be in one of their London branches so they sent someone to go get it, and got it fitted... So, instead of a leisurely pack up during the day, I had a frantic pack, in the dark, on a car I didn't know, trying to put dog guards in etc. ready to leave at 3am... we were knackered. However, full marks to the dealer in pulling out all the stops to fix it.

They did offer a 110 Defender instead, but I'd bought the D5 partition, divider and liner as I knew I'd need them anyway, there was 20% off online direct from JLR, and I didn't want the dog to wreck the inside of a car that wasn't mine... none of that would fit a defender and also the rear mounted storage isn't easy either with the side door.

As it happens this summer with my car I forgot the keys to the cycle carrier so spent 10 days driving round like this while a spare key was sent by Thule...

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum