Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Lucy2
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

2.0ltr D5 noise

Hi all, can anyone help with my problem, We were towing our caravan on our holidays M6, decided to have a break so when slowing down & going down a long slip road there was a fairly loud deep throated thumping noise like the exhaust had disconnected at the manifold. When moving on at the roundabout on acceleration still sounded like burst exhaust thinking sh-t engines had it, We pulled into a parking space in the HGV area had a good look at everything checked oil water, checked below car exhaust looked fine no oil leaks at turbo rev's sitting at 750 on tick over. We decided to move off onto an A road to hear it again this time the noise was much much lower. So back onto the motorway little to no noise when towing. The car pulled van no bother plenty power the usual 24mpg towing van . We could still hear the same noise but nowhere near as bad when lifting foot off the gas but gone when accelerating can't understand it.

We have been using the car solo for 4/5 weeks at home now with no problem but still has the same noise but very low. As I've already said car pulls great no power lose no oil leaks no smoke water level's perfect so question is what can make such a deep throated thumping noise.
    Could it be a split or leak on the turbo pipework?
    Any help would very much appreciated.

Lucy. Crying or Very sad

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 

UPDATE ON ENGINE NOISE

Hi all
    I will answer this post myself again hoping it may help someone. After talking to a real landrover mechanic about my problem. He said it sounds like the exhaust vvt solenoid was faulty, so ordered a landrover part on net installed it, what a difference engine roaring noise was gone & running smother, sorted. Hope this helps someone.
    The only bad thing is a month later the engine was turning over too many times before starting & stalling so visit to LR to confirm the notorious 2.0 ltr engine failure need new engine low compression in 2 cylinders so disappointed LR Censored love the car. I don't know if the vvt solenoid failure had anything to do with the engine failing,

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sorry you've had such problems... How long for the new/refurb engine to be fitted? Is it all within warranty?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 

UPDATE ON ENGINE FAILURE

Hi
    It just happened, was in to be checked on wed so my dealer is building a case to send to LR so god knows how long that will take, LR will then send me a % offer 20 40 60 80% but it should be 100% simply because it's a known 2.0ltr ingenium engine fault, the bill for replacement is usually around £24000 absolutely shocking so hopefully it'll be 100% even 80% would be ok. I have a Warranty Direct warranty so hoping on LR goodwill replacement.

UPDATE NEW ENGINE INSTALLED.

Some good news for us anyway, Finaly got LR to stump up 50% after many e-mails, then got on to my warranty company Warranty Direct & agian after many e-mails they paid the other 50%, total bill from my LR agent was £16,000 including two new turbo's & 2 yr warranty, so this was a good result eventually.

The car is now driving & pulling very well what a differance to drive. Very Happy

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum