Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Andrzej
    Poland 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Won't start, dash dead, battery good

Today is the second time this happened to me. You go to your car, keyless works, opens up, but I do not get a welcome screen on the digital dash, no milage indicator, nothing. The start button does not work to get the car going. Just like the last time, I disconnected the battery, put it back on after about 30sec. and it all worked. Trouble is, that it happened to my ms this time, and she wants the car gone as she was stuck until I arrived. Any ideas?

past: '09 D4 HSE TDV6 Navy Blue
    present; '19 D5 HSE SD4 Corris Grey Dynamic, other: BMW F10 M5, BMW R1200GSA, BMW 118i, Can-Am Outlander, KTM 530EXC
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Get a new battery for it.
    Just guessing but it’s cheaper than getting rid.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Does not sound like a duff battery if it starts ok after disconnecting the battery .
  • Andrzej
    Poland 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

OK, so I had my battery checked today, it is at 87% its original capacity, and 61% charged. Generally the test said in short "Good but recharge". Could the charge level be the issue here? The alternator is working fine, charging all the time. The battery also does not drop while starting the engine. I normally drive on long enough sections which should keep the battery fully charged, but apparently they don't since it dropped to 61%, not an expert here.

past: '09 D4 HSE TDV6 Navy Blue
    present; '19 D5 HSE SD4 Corris Grey Dynamic, other: BMW F10 M5, BMW R1200GSA, BMW 118i, Can-Am Outlander, KTM 530EXC
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Earth stud?

There was a recall for bad earth connection studs. A high resistance connection would cause a voltage drop as the current draw increases after unlocking and might stop being a problem after the wires have been moved.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Earth stud I would guess and a few have had these replaced a number of times

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

Let's not forget that removing the battery connection then refitting then carries out a reboot of the cars system that may have shut down due to an error. I had a Discovery 3 whose entertainment system used to go blank. I had to remove the fuse briefly to reboot the system to get working again.
  • karmax
    Switzerland 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Check the plus distributor box under the right front wheel locker. It connect the wire from the battery plus to starter. A well-know issue from ranger over 405 and 494 that was inherited by disco5. I serviced mine last week - needs attention especially after 4-5 years. As may cause problems - the car does not start.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum