Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• hughmartin
    Scotland 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Adaptive Cruise Control + Limiter

Hi Folks. Having been away from the Disco scene for a couple of years, I have just traded in my Defender for a new D5 Metropolitan. I'm trying to get to grips with the adaptive cruise control and adaptive speed limiter. Am I correct in saying that I can't have both active at the same time? If so, WHY have LR done this??? My wife's Ford Kuga has both and both can be operating together. It means you can drive with cruise control selected and not worry about fiddling around readjusting the selected speed when entering a new speed limit area. It just does it seamlessly for you. This seems a big omission.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Interesting point you raise. I'd never thought of it as a limitation... but I guess you can't miss what you've never had. Does sound like it could be a useful feature.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control + Limiter

hughmartin wrote:
    Hi Folks. Having been away from the Disco scene for a couple of years, I have just traded in my Defender for a new D5 Metropolitan. I'm trying to get to grips with the adaptive cruise control and adaptive speed limiter. Am I correct in saying that I can't have both active at the same time? If so, WHY have LR done this??? My wife's Ford Kuga has both and both can be operating together. It means you can drive with cruise control selected and not worry about fiddling around readjusting the selected speed when entering a new speed limit area. It just does it seamlessly for you. This seems a big omission.

Correct, it is one or the other. The cruise control set speed doesn't automatically adjust itself but the speed limiter does. Annoyingly, however, sometimes the speed limiter detects the signs at the entry to side roads and so slams on the brakes while you're cruising at 60mph but go past a side street with a 30mph limit!

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

That's a real bug-bear @JonM. Or on the continent, it can pick up signs which are intended for other classes of vehicles, and do similar.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • gavsta

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control + Limiter

JonM wrote:
    Correct, it is one or the other. The cruise control set speed doesn't automatically adjust itself but the speed limiter does. Annoyingly, however, sometimes the speed limiter detects the signs at the entry to side roads and so slams on the brakes while you're cruising at 60mph but go past a side street with a 30mph limit!

TBH, I'm delighted that the two features are not integrated. With my previous car they were, and it would drive me crazy when sitting on a motorway, a sign on a slip road, or an out-of-date set of roadworks in the nav database, would cause the car to suddenly brake.

In fairness, however, around city dual carriageways which can regularly vary between 30, 40 and 50mph, it could be useful. Yet, accelerator sense will always result in smoother progress, than cruise control braking.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum