Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• soupdragon
    United Kingdom 

Which 2017 to 2020 Disco 5 to buy?

So I've settled on the Disco 5. Looked at other Land Rover products, as well as the Germans etc and I feel the Disco 5 is the best overall car for my usage

I'll be towing a 2 tonne boat from time to time, as well as trips to my static caravan which is 2 hrs away. The 7 seats may come in handy if my kids (2) want to bring friends. I like that its got van like space for when I need to move stuff around, bring stuff back and forward to my caravan and general occasions if I need to move big stuff.

The Disco 5 seems to be one of the best tow vehicles around and the general practicality is pretty damn good. Its not essential, although tow assist feature on the Disco 5 might be useful for me.

Am I correct in assuming all Disco 5 come with tow bar as standard?

And now that I'm settled on the car, which trim is best (I'm thinking SE or HSE perhaps) and which engine? When I tow the boat, its not often, just start/end of season towing generally, so I'm after the most reliable engine, rather than the best for towing. Don't want to get the 3L if its more prone to faults - I think I can live with 2L less power for the infrequent towing that I'll do.

At the same time, if the 3L is more reliable, then I'm definitely going to pay the bit extra and buy that one if its a more reliable engine.

So which one would you recommend I buy?

thanks!
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Towbar is not standard, and retrofit is expensive, so ideally you want to look for one already fitted with an electrically deployable towbar.

The 3 litre SDV6 engine is in my opinion by far the best choice for towing. You will get a few comments about reliability but it’s a very small percentage that have failures.

I like the HSE spec, but not too sure what you lose by dripping down a trim level. I think the 360 surround camera is a desirable option. But there are not many of these about.

Think it sounds like a very good match for your mission!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Which 2017 to 2020 Disco 5 to buy?

soupdragon wrote:
    So I've settled on the Disco 5. Looked at other Land Rover products, as well as the Germans etc and I feel the Disco 5 is the best overall car for my usage

I'll be towing a 2 tonne boat from time to time, as well as trips to my static caravan which is 2 hrs away. The 7 seats may come in handy if my kids (2) want to bring friends. I like that its got van like space for when I need to move stuff around, bring stuff back and forward to my caravan and general occasions if I need to move big stuff.

The Disco 5 seems to be one of the best tow vehicles around and the general practicality is pretty damn good. Its not essential, although tow assist feature on the Disco 5 might be useful for me.

Am I correct in assuming all Disco 5 come with tow bar as standard?

And now that I'm settled on the car, which trim is best (I'm thinking SE or HSE perhaps) and which engine? When I tow the boat, its not often, just start/end of season towing generally, so I'm after the most reliable engine, rather than the best for towing. Don't want to get the 3L if its more prone to faults - I think I can live with 2L less power for the infrequent towing that I'll do.

At the same time, if the 3L is more reliable, then I'm definitely going to pay the bit extra and buy that one if its a more reliable engine.

So which one would you recommend I buy?

thanks!

If budget allows I would be saying 2019 onwards. There were some improvements on launch model.

The early models had many teething issues which if they haven’t been sorted on the car of your choice could become troublesome fixing under what you assume is covered by the vendor’s warranty.

For example… Leaking windscreen…not covered by LR warranty despite thousands suffering. You are frequently left arguing the toss with the dealer to get it fixed grudgingly as a “goodwill gesture”.

You are by no means less likely to get the same response with newer models….it’s just the older ones had more issues and the ‘duty of care” has gone beyond the elastic limit of dealers goodwill.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

First choice if you can stretch your budget is the D300 It is the best engine for MPG, power and reliability but this is newer than your 2020 range. Second choice is the SDV6 which will be MY2019 (68 plate) onwards. Third choice would be the original TD6 engine.

Adaptive dynamics gives a big improvement in handling on road. It is standard on MY21 onwards (D300) vehicles, was a (rare) extra cost option on MY2019 (SDV6) vehicles and not available on older vehicles.

Don't buy a 2L under any circumstances. 2L engines fail regularly and even JLR dealers quickly stopped selling them as used vehicles because of all the problems.

D5s do not come with tow bars as standard. All of the towbar options are extra cost options either fitted at manufacture of can be fitted later.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I have had a few now and they are all good tow cars.
    If you can stretch go for the new Ingenium 3.0 straight six diesel. It is a wonderful engine and very economical.
    However the other engines are good but do have issues and the software in earlier cars is a little flaky.
    As for tow bars these are not like the D3/D4 where you just need the hook and the receiver was already in the rear cross member.
    The cross member on the D5 has to be removed and replaced with a new one. It isn't a hard job to do and can be done in a few hours, have done a few now.

I also have a second hand but extremely good condition detachable tow bar and electrics to fit a D5 if you are interested and at a good price.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum