Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• haybob
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Smart key repairs

Stupidly left my key in my pocket of my jeans and it went throught the wash! Dried it out and replaced the battery. Doors unlock and locked at first but not able to start the engine. Now nothing at all. LR want £769 inc coding an new key! Anyone had one repaired or can reccommend a comany to repair

Cheers

Mark

MY 23.5 SE R Dynamic. Commercial Hakuba Silver
    Previously MY HSE commercial Portofino Blue
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Try this first - this worked for mobile phones back in the day when they weren't IP65 rated.

Remove the battery and soak in distilled water (DISTILLED - not spring or artesian water). About 30min should do it, but if the water gets cloudy, change the water until it stays clear. This should remove any detergent that might be gumming up the circuit boards.

Shake it out well, and then put it in a bag of rice for a few days. shake the bag a couple of times per day and make sure the fob is in the middle of the rice each time. Make sure the bag is well sealed with the air well squeezed out. This will pull the water out of the electronics.

You might use some electronics cleaner on the battery compartment and under the circuit boards. Let that dry out for about 30 min. That should also evacuate any remaining moisture.

Replace the battery and cover and then try the re-pairing method following a battery replacement.

If this fails - the key is dead and you'll need to have it replaced. These are specially coded keys, unique to each VIN and radio and have to be hard-programmed with Land Rover gear, hence the cost.

If the fob also went through the tumble dryer...it may be toast - that's shock and heat they're not designed for.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum