Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GreyShadow
    United Kingdom 

Have your brakes done this?

Hi, Just got our Disco 5 back from a big service/Mot where they changed the rear brake hoses..
    The brake pedal travels far more (had to adjust the seat!) than before the service and feels spongy to me, although it obviously does stop the car because it passed the MOT.

I contacted the dealer and was told "This often happens, if it's not improved in a week come back!". My experience of playing with cars makes me think this is total horse s### and it's probably air in the system, but knowing there are complications in the Landy systems like ABS and goodness knows what, I not sure if this may be possible??

Has anyone got experience of brakes improving by themselves??

Regards. M
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Sounds like horse muck to me with that combination of symptoms.

It’s true that new brakes can feel different for a few miles while new pads bed in but I wouldn’t expect extended pedal travel too.

I would be inclined to agree with your diagnosis of air in the system with a combination of extended travel on the pedal and a spongy feel- Did they change brake fluid at the same time? Normally no need to mess with the hydraulics to swap out pads.

Jon

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • GreyShadow
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply!

They only changed the brake hoses to get it through the MOT. I will have to drive it today, and will probably stop off at the dealer again ....unless the brakes are magically healing!
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Missed that you said hoses!

Almost certainly air. I would take it back.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Sounds like my old Morris 1000 back in the ‘60s.
    Had to pump the brake pedal like mad to get the air bubbles out of the way on approaching every road junction.

I thought these days there were slicker more efficient techniques of changing pipes and purging out the air. Rolling Eyes
  • GreyShadow
    United Kingdom 

Sorted!

Had to move a horse trailer this morning, which only made the spongy brake travel more obvious!
    So on the way back I stopped at the dealer.... They tried to give me the guff about waiting a week, but actually agreed to look at it in the workshop then and there!.
    .... After a while said they had bled it but weren't happy it was fixed on the roadtest.......
    I had to wait about 2-1/2hrs, but in the end the breaking seems back to where it was, and they replaced all the brake pads free of charge as they said it was their fault!

Morale of the story.... Trust your instincts/Garages are gits!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

At least they were honest and admitted it was their fault!!

My experience with LR dealers is that too many of them simple try to make you think you are an idiot and don’t know anything about your own vehicle!!

I even had a LR dealer tell me to “grow up and be an adult” last week when I was trying to buy a RR Evoque for my mother.
    They said this to me when I said that if they didn’t want to sell the car to me, then I had no problem with cancelling the purchase contract.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum