Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Snow Tyres But!!!

Visited Grizedale Forest yesterday, Bit of snow on the ground, so saw it as a good opportunity to see how my half worn AT3's performed, journey to forest approx 20 miles took less than an hour. Snow between one and three inches, B roads not gritted/cleared, no problems and no scary moments, At Grizedale, scheduled Rally stage cancelled for safety reasons, I dragged a snow bound car out of the car ppark, but worse, the cafe was shut!!! Spent 2 hours walking the forest tracks with my 2 cockers, Time to go home, it had snowed continuously so now there was up to 6 inches, I didn't care, AT3's and just in case, 2 sets of chains in the back so anticipating some adventure time. Not a chance, within a few miles road blocked, Astra with 'racing' tyres on the shallowest of inclines, now no one is going anywhere. 2 FFRR's in front of me also blocked. Eventually we got past him, Tyres working well even on the compacted surface until, you guessed it, another car with the wrong tyres, stuck, going nowhere, blocking progress. this time there was no getting past, in the distance it was obvious something similar was going on but eventually a farmer with a 'manitou dragged cars out and progress resumed.......... until..... the same again 1/2 a mile further on. people pushing pulling sliding cars out of the way, waited for a different farmer to drag out the 13 cars infront of us, Moving again for another 1/2 mile, blocked once more! The return journey home took over 6 hours, average speed less than 5 mph 12mpg averge.
    Today returned to different side of Grizedale roads were fine. Car park High Cross covered in up to 12 inches of snow, went as far as I could into the snow until tyres couldn't cope, took dogs for a walk , snow on the forest roads upto 18 inch deep. Home time, fully expected to use the chains but decided to try low traction launch, where previously when buryiny the car it was sliding sideways, this time setting of was almost uneventful. Shame really, i really wanted to use the chains. It was a really good excercise in discovering the car and its tyres performance in such winter conditions.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Very Happy Love it!

We drive to the Alps each year and have run AT3s (And AT2s before them) for years on various Discos - never been stuck! Fantastic tyre!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

We've not had a significant depth of snow, only about 3cm but it fell on very cold surfaces so untreated roads were very icy.

We took the D5 up to Scar House Reservoir to walk the dog and the track up to it was ice with a dusting of snow. The D5 with it's AT3s never really had to try hard, it partially locked it's differentials a couple of times but never any noticeable wheel slip. I did however have to be cautious on the bends and slow down to allow the car to find the grip, although I suspect there would have been significantly more grip if it had slid off on to the frozen grassy verge.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum