Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Diver579
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Yulong White

New Disco

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a late 2018 306PS HSE Disco, what should I be looking for any obvious problems?
    I had a 3 it was fantastic!!

Regards

Kierran
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

As you appear to have been a member since Jan 2023, you must have seen all the negative posts. Unfortunately this site seems to be a medium for venting anger, frustration, disappointment and all other manner of complaints about the D5. It appears to be the norm in life for people to winge rather than praise about most things in life.
    I like many other owners have had problems with my car, fortunately I have a brilliant dealer locally and I also have extended warranty, so feel pretty insulated from stress and financial ruin. If I change, it will probably be for another D5 or possibly a Defender 130.
    Most people admit that the D5 is a superb bit of kit and nothing else comes close when its working properly. All makes of car suffer faults and breakdowns but no-one really cares about a £15k Ford but when its a £80k Landrover its a disaster!
    The only advice I can offer is; Full service history inc repairs if any. Find a good dealer, insist on a compehensive warranty, Take your time. There will be loads of D5's available some will be dogs others will be the dogs b*ll*cks.
    Good luck.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Whippetman
    England 

Good Luck!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • MarkAlex
    United Kingdom 

Harrythespider is correct, forums like this can be a winge fest. I've had an early 2018 TDV6 HSE from new and experienced no problems at all. I would normally have changed it by now but as my mileage is low I've decided to keep it for a few more years. I too have bitten the bullet and taken the Land Rover extended warranty, mainly for a little peace of mind.

This my 6th Discovery and I've enjoyed them all. I liked my D4 but the D5 is a big step up in tech and, for me, useability, which is towing a caravan. I find it uses significantly less fuel, than my D4, under all driving conditions and occasionally, on very steady non towing runs, I get over 40mpg, even taking the in car computer over estimate into account.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Whilst some may consider it a whinge fest! The people who have encountered bad dealers, breakdowns, leaks and a host of niggling electronic faults may not consider it such.

It’s true that forums tend to get the problems aired more than the benefits giving an unfairly prejudicial view of the actual percentage of problem vehicles out there.

However the op was asking for ‘things to look out for’ when buying a 2018 model, I suspect he WANTS to hear some of the negatives to at least be aware, as opposed to hearing everything is rosey for some.

It’s true to say SOME diesel owners have had crankshaft failures. SOME early vehicles experienced windscreen leaks. SOME have had hydraulic suspension failures, windows dropping down and electronic problems that baffle JLR technicians. It’s also true to say SOME dealers have poor reputations for response time and customer service once you bought the vehicle.

I think the suggestion of getting the LR extended warranty is a very good one but that isn’t always a perfect path. Dealers are known to umm and arrh about what’s included. They will be decidedly less helpful if you haven’t had the car serviced regularly WITH THEM.

All things to consider when deciding what, where and who to buy from.

That said the Discovery is a lovely car to drive, hard to beat driving solo or towing. Despite the issues I have had with this car I would be prepared to chalk it up as a Friday afternoon car and consider another one if the future of the Discovery was assured.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I agree with Wolfpack.

My D5 has been in at the dealers the last 10 days waiting for a diagnosis never mind a repair and I haven’t a clue what it is other than it sounds a bit rough. Yes I have been given a curtesy car, a new Velar, which I quite like incidently,

My wife’s car is a Mazda which is unremarkable but hasn’t given her an ounce of trouble,

That said, I’ve ordered my third Kawasaki bike for delivery on 1st March for the new reg plate, now that’s a lot more fun that a D5. I am even getting the same price I paid for the trade in and a significant discount on rrp plus a 4 year manufacturers warranty. What’s not to like. 😁

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Nice bike Darras, but it can't tow a 3.5 tonne trailer like the Disco Laughing Laughing

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

True, but a Disco can’t do 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds. 😁
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

But at least the Disco has an Air Bag Laughing
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

That isn’t a nice way to talk about the driver!! 😁😁😁😁😁
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

BTW the yearly service for the bike makes LR look reasonable.

The costs, this is ignoring the fact it will require a mini service after 600 miles which is £210, are …….

Wait for it🙄

A service = £350
    B service = £580

And the nearest accredited Kawasaki dealership is a 320 mile round trip. You need it to keep the warranty going.

Thud
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hi I’ve just bought my second Discovery I had a few problems with my first car but once you’ve had a Discovery nothing else compares.

Do your research, go for low mileage, full Land Rover service history, one or two owners. I bought my car from a Land Rover dealer I found other dealers were the same price but with only a 3 month warranty.

I haggled and bought a 12 months warranty if they would add an extra 12 months to the warranty on offer, which meant I’ve got a 3 year warranty and breakdown cover.

I had a 2lt engine which was superb my problem was a poorly fitted windscreen which I believe 2017 models suffered from.

Also the a bolt on app I used called AT price tracker which is brilliant, it monitors the auto trader and shows each time a dealer reduces the price of a car. I down loaded to my iPad and use the auto trade web site ( not the app) and it works, here’s a photo what it looks like

It’s not very clear but you’ll get the idea, don’t tell the dealer your using the app

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Diver579
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info Very Happy
  • Diver579
    United Kingdom 

Re: New Disco

Diver579 wrote:
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a late 2018 306PS HSE Disco, what should I be looking for any obvious problems?
    I had a 3 it was fantastic!!

Regards

Kierran

I have now pick up a 2019 HSE Lux, its lovey Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum