Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Missing Gesture Tailgate

For those who thought they were getting one but didn't, this might be worth a look...

https://www.ovalnews.com/page/2

As usual, not that clear which vehicles qualify, but if you really wanted it, it might be available.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Interesting - they didn't tell me mine was missing it, but I'm adamant it is as it wont open. I did used to use the feature, and on occasions it was handy, but I also had several very near misses with it.

One was loading onto the car deck of a Cal Mac ferry, people walking close to my car set it off, and cars were so closely parked it opened with mm to spare from the Porsche behind!

Plus one time I was checking / adjusting tyre pressures at the local garage and the air hose was running under the back of the car to get around the other side, and it opened my boot, again, mm from hitting a Mini parked in the bay next to me.

So..... I think I'm inclined to leave it "off".

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I had a Metropolitan on loan over Easter, which had the gesture tailgate and had the rear door close on my head a couple of times when packing/unpacking the boot... so to be honest, if it's not there I won't be upset.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually picking mine up today... 26 months from initial order Shocked
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

AMAZING news - guess these Discos really starting to roll of the factory line now. I hope yours is everything you hoped for, and please do share pics!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I've never driven a vehicle with a gesture tailgate that worked properly. None open when you want them to, such as when you have two arms full of heavy cardboard box in the rain; all open when you don't want them to, such as when you're washing your car with the key in your pocket and you're spraying the underside.

Don't care to have one ever again. This is literally the only feature I have on my Discovery that doesn't work due to poor design, but I'm quite sure it's not Land Rover's fault.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Must agree 100%

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I must have the only car where that feature works,ok.

. I just find I need to kick out twice…the first time it merely wakes up the car from its slumbers.

That said I have a different batch of gremlins installed to torment me.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I'm in the fan club too. I kick the car just below the rearmost side parking sensor, works every time, and the sensor gives me a known target to aim for.

Only time it has been a nuisance is when washing the car I have to make sure I do not have the keys on me or it operates.
  • gavsta

Using the 'Customer search for outstanding service campaigns' on TOPIx will show whether a vehicle is applicable for Campaign Code: N714 (or any other campaign for that matter).

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

That particular article can now be found here:

https://www.ovalnews.com/2023/06/if-your-2...ealer.html

Sadly, my MY23.5 isn't due for the retrofit. Despite gesture tailgate being on the advertised spec sheet, dealers were informed that it wasn't being fitted. Unfortunately, it was a surprise to me, as the supplying dealer hadn't passed along that info.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum