Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

2 failed repairs by LR

Following on from https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3713.html. (N/S carpets soaking wet)

I’m sad to say that after 2 repairs for water ingress, my 19 hse lux is collecting water inside the cabin yet again.

I purchased this vehicle 9 months ago, approved used with a with a full LR warranty only to find out later that water ingress is not covered.
    9 months of ownership, 4 of them the vehicle has been sat at the dealership under repair.

Twice the dealer has reportedly fixed the leak with JLR picking up the bill both times,
    but now for a third time the n/s rear carpets are wet.

As the entire floor plan & carpets aren’t saturated as yet, the first signs of water is mostly under the middle row n/s seat runners.

I’ve lost faith in this car & the dealership completely, but where do I go from here?

Any help or advice is most welcome.

Tia Tom…

MY2019 Hse lux in Indus Silver
    Deployable tow bar, cubby fridge, side steps, black pack.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Under the Consumer Law Act 2015.

From what you say, the below is applicable. You discount any time you experienced waiting from reporting the fault to the car actually going into the garage as well as actual time in the garage for these purposes. I know, I’ve done a rejection, on a car I had over 6 months, but only really had less than 30 days if you see what I mean.

Notify the garage immediately. If they get awkward, most of us have some form of legal protection with car or house insurance and they will fight it on your behalf.

Right to reject – the first six months

If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

If you part-exchanged your old car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will get a cash value for the new car. However, unlike the short-term right to reject, it may not be the full value.

In this instance, the dealer is able to claim a reduction in the value of the vehicle. This is based on the mileage covered and time elapsed. There is no guidance on how much they can charge you, so be prepared to negotiate this with the dealer. If it goes to court, the judge will decide.

As above, it is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle under the Act. You cannot be charged for return costs or be forced to return the vehicle yourself
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Re: 2 failed repairs by LR

TomThumb wrote:

Any help or advice is most welcome.

I have no experience in these matters, other than to say I feel your frustration as you've already been incredibly patient. Keep us posted and good luck.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Cheers for the support gents 👍 & for the info Darras👍

This morning I had a live chat with LR customer services who wholeheartedly directed me to an approved LR workshop, so no real help at all.

No workshop time available elsewhere, so a call to the supplying dealer it was,

The outcome was to leave the vehicle with them for inspection, so the damage & actual point of water ingress could be identified, as this was deemed necessary to facilitate any report for JLR.
    (So sounds like they are wanting to pass the buck back over to JLR yet again)

Then & only then after there fault finding exercise, could they discuss what happens next re: a fix / replace or reject.
    Any potential fix will not restore my faith in this vehicle whatsoever.

So for now, it’s there party & there rules,

For the time being, the Disco will be undercover in there workshop, thus avoiding any further damage while I await an acceptable resolution.

Tom…

As to how this
    [/u][/b]

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

When I had a problem leak, I hung a hose with spray over the car indifferent positions until I discovered where the water was getting in. It’s not rocket science …sometimes simple approaches are more productive….but it needs the dealers to think outside of their JLR instruction/procedure box. A Karcher pressure washer on each seam/seal area in turn might be a better option in your case.

You might have been better off taking it to a local independent LR garage to get them to diagnose the problem. Mine seems a lot more switched on ….but then they all drive Discoveries as well as fixing them.

Having struggled with my local dealer for 2 years I came to understand that THEY have little clout with JLR.

It wasnt actually the dealer that was the obstacle (provided you deal with them reasonably) They seem like a registrar having to get a pompous consultant’s sayso before doing anything. The action is always protracted as if they are waiting for you to give up.
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

Re: 2 failed repairs by LR

TomThumb wrote:
    .Any help or advice is most welcome.…

Do you have the rear aircon?

You mentioned that you thought it started in the rear, so I was wondering if the condensation drain for the rear aircon was blocked or disconnected, allowing the condensation to run down inside the cabin?

Unfortunately I am new to the D5 and haven’t yet got my hands on any workshop manuals to get my head into the details of these vehicles.

I have spent the last 7 years as admin and moderator of the T6 Forum and wet carpets were a feature of the California, caused by either blocked condensation drains from the evaporator of the aircon, or blocked wheelarch drain exits from the pipes that run down from the roof gutters.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

It has got the rear air-con.
    you would have thought that would have been checked while undergoing any fault finding, tho I will mention it when they come back to me.

Hopefully! catching the damp carpets early will help the narrow down the search area, but with them falling twice all ready, the jury is still out on that one.

Tom…

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

My first car was an MGF, and that suffered soaking wet passenger floor areas, which was found to be a dis-lodged air-con pipe in the footwell... The OP has a good point!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Cheers gents,
    I will definitely ask for their thoughts re: air-con.

Just had a light bulb moment & seem to recall the rear ac location from somewhere.

Does the rear air-con unit sit mid way in to the boot behind the n/s panel ?
    (a quick Google search for ac location ain’t helping)
    If so? an ac issue would fit the symptoms.

They did promise me an update by Wednesday if not before,
    tho I did get the impression that any update on my motor would be tagged on to the more pressing issue of swapping out the loaner of a New Defender to a regular runaround that should become available on Wed🤭

Tom…

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

***update***

Just had a call from the dealership & they are confident they have found the actual point of water ingress this time round.

It’s taken them 2 weeks to actually get round looking at it, but they are pretty certain it’s down to the rear n/s sunroof drain tube.

I’m expecting they will have identified this as a recent issue with no correlation to any previous water influx.
    But hopefully I’ll get the full rundown tomorrow when they expect it to be ready for collection!

I still have no faith in this vehicle due to internal corrosion possibilities over the coming years, but my written intent of rejecting or replacing this motor is still lacking in response from the dealership.

Tom…

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I thought the whole point of charging for diagnostic work was for them to establish in advance the source of a problem. You pay for that service.

If they subsequently find their diagnosis was wrong you are at the very least owed a refund. But you would expect their professional pride would spur them on to find the actual location of the problem and fix it.

During a recent protracted repair programme, my dealer unnecessarily replaced bearings, suspension arms, a transfer box and a plethora of bits that had to be replaced (because they couldn’t release parts), while they struggled to deliver the repair their diagnosis had predicted and thus promised. I just have a long pregnant pause, smiled and asked “what are you going to try next?” To their credit they kept going.

So any suggestion your new problem is a different one that may or may not be “covered”, is ludicrous. They contracted to fix a leak of unspecified location or cause….thats not fulfilled yet.
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

***update***

3 weeks on from taking the disco in for the 3rd time for water ingress, I have had word it is ready to be collected.
    In part I’ll be glad to get my motor back, but the long term & unknown effects of the floor pan spending so much time under water fills me with dread.

I’ve had no response to my email I sent the dealer requesting a refund or replacement or the failed past attempts to diagnose & repair the actual cause.

Will see what they have to say about all this tomorrow while I’m there.

Tom…

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Continuing on from my D5 & it’s ability to gather water internally.

I’d thought a follow up was in order.

I’m glad to say, the interior has remained dry since the last repair, so 3rd time around, the dealer finally identified the cause of the water ingress & has finally fixed the leak.

But due to the time the floor pan & associated electrical components have spent under water, mostly due to misdiagnosis & failed repairs, I have no long term faith in this vehicle whatsoever.

So a request for a refund or replacement from the beginning of the year has finally received a proposal from the dealer.

As I have owned this vehicle just short of 12 months, with close to half that time it has been off the road under repair.
    The offer from the dealer.

The trade in figure being offered is 25k less than I paid for the vehicle 12mth ago.

Or on trade in value alone

A fair use premium of £13.50 per mile if I returned the vehicle for a refund.

The joys of owning a Land Rover.

Tom…

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I would not be at all happy with that. And I can tell you aren't, either. Good luck getting a much fairer resolution.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

That's a shocking offer. I would contact LR customer service to see what they have to say.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum