Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

22" spare - possible? Or modification needed?

Quick question:

I have been unlucky to suffer 2x punctures in the last 4months, which has hurt the wallet but more than that, is very inconvenient as the Disco is the only one of our two vehicles my wife can drive (my other is a 4t campervan and she doesn't have a C1) so when we're left with a puncture and two school runs to manage, the spacesaver isn't really cutting it.

So I'm now thinking about buying a full-size (22") alloy to whip out if needed again.

Question is, I have a spacesaver currently, will the 22" rim & tyre fit without modification (i.e. the heatshield) and do I need an upgraded winch for the weight of it?

Many thanks

2021 Discovery MHEV D300 R-Dynamic HSE
    Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Straight replacement, however, make sure you buy a good anti theft plate, otherwise you won't have a spare or a working winch.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • sudds
    United Kingdom 

As said by Trevorb1 I would definitely get a protection plate. I have one on mine from forum member RLD who makes them and can recommend them as they are very good quality.
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

Thanks chaps. Good to know it’ll fit.

I already have the protection plate so now a case of tracking down a spare wheel at a sensible price and sticking a new tyre on it.

2021 Discovery MHEV D300 R-Dynamic HSE
    Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Don't rely on the Landrover supplied plate, it's better than nothing but only just, RLD or similar design which protects the whole of the winch support is the best.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum