Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Trinyquist
    United Kingdom 

AC Condenser unit replacement cost

Hi all - apologies if this doesn't necessarily fit this subforum, but I'm a bit stuck and after some advice.

I noticed my AC had stopped working a few months ago on my 2017 D5, and because it was the glorious English spring, the weather was freezing enough to not actually need it.

Then came that 5 days of glorious summer we had in May, and I thought I better get it re-gassed. Took it to my local garage and they suggested they perform a leak test, just in case. Leak test performed, 'held pressure' and they re-gassed it. £180.

3 days later, it was blowing hot again. I took it back in, they did some more digging and apparently found the leak on the condenser unit, and said it needed replacing. Estimate was £595, actual cost was £892. Leak-test and re-gas performed.

I'm now 3 days later, and it's blowing hot again. I'm frustrated. Firstly, I believe the cost of £892 doesn't match the labour required to perform the job. The estimate was 3.5 hours, but the invoice was for 8 hours. An estimate is an estimate, fair enough, but 50% more cost? Does it really take 8 hours to replace?

The fact that the gas has leaked out again, even when they've told me its been pressure and leak tested, is also really frustrating, especially as they 'found the leak'. I'm a grand down and no further forward!

Help!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

My local dealer charges £124/hour labour. So their 8hour tasks would cost £1000 without the parts.

I am probably wrong but it was my understanding that dealers gave a fixed price quote for jobs, based on JLR specified work times/parts? If the job takes longer than anticipated it’s down to them to pick up any extra cost. Maybe that’s wishful thinking. 🤔

The other point is they were contracted to fix a problem, which despite them saying they had, they haven’t. (Sadly this is a common theme with many dealerships). But as with any contract they have to keep going at their expense until they have corrected the fault you asked them to correct.

Last edited by Wolfpack on 7th Jul 2024 11:19 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Trinyquist
    United Kingdom 

This was my local garage, not a dealer. I questioned the estimate originally and they said they spoke to JLR and they quoted £1400 for replacement of the condenser and labour etc. I didn't question how many hours labour it would have been for JLR, but 8 just seems excessive to me. I could be absolutely wrong though.

On the estimate my local garage provided, they stated 3.5hrs labour, but it ended up being 8 hours. I've emailed a few other local garages and LR themselves to find out more about the job and if they're able to provide estimated hours etc.

I think its more now that I've forked out a lot of money and the problem still isn't resolved. Are there any other known issues with AC leakage with D5's?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

If you subtract the JLR price of the part from £1400 and divide by 120 it should give you an idea how long JLR think it should take.

That said independent garages are perhaps not as aware of actual times, hence estimates.

The point about them being contracted to fix a specific problem, which they have failed to do, is however still valid.

Some of the guys on here may have an insight on this specific problem, but ultimately, unless the garage are prepared to go with forum advice (I’ve hit this specific barrier, admittedly with a JLR dealer, in the recent past), it’s down to the garage to find out how to solve what they’ve been paid to do.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum