Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• discus
    United Kingdom 

BF Goodrich KO2

Has anyone had this tyre on their Discovery? I am looking for a 20" wheel with an all terrain tyre, and like the chunky look of these, but wonder what they are like on road for noise and road holding, and if anyone has any experience they can feedback.

The mission is some towing on damp and soggy ground and tracks, but nothing technical, and on road winter use.

Wonder if these are a bit too aggressive, and if Duratracs or AT3's or something else might be a better compromise. Although I do think they look the part!

2024 Discovery Metropolitan D300 - Offroad & Towing Packs - Varesine Blue
    2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

There are some people who think they are great. I'm not one of them.

I had them many years ago on an Isuzu Trooper and they seemed very good. Quite a few years later I put them on my D4 and regretted it. Off-road they were great but on road they were noisy (becoming very noisy once 50% worn) and they had virtually no lateral grip on wet tarmac. Power sliding a 3 tonne 4x4 on every bend or roundabout is quite an art form Shocked

My D5s have both had GG AT3s. I like those, They are actually better on-road than the standard Pirelli Scorpions. They are a bit softer in the sidewall and more risk of rock damage than the BFG's but still more than adequate off-road as well.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the real world feedback. Having done a bit more reading there seems to be lots of negative comment about the KO2's wet weather on road grip, which in this part of the world is a big negative.

I think I am being drawn towards Goodyear Duratrac's, both from positive comments online and that I think they are the Land Rover approved off-road tyre for the Defender(?) which gives them a bit of credibility.

The General Grabber AT3 also gets loads of positive feedback, including your own. Think it's going to be these or the Duratracs, and I ditch the KO2 idea. I also note in older posts here that some people are running 275/55/r20 in these instead of the standard 255/60/r20.

Decisions, Decisions...

A main driver as well as the utility of the tyre is that I do not want to risk my 22" wheels on some of the tracks as I think they would get cosmetic damage. So the idea is to have a set of posh shoes and a set of welly boots....

2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Yes, 275/55/20 AT3's on mine, 2nd set and if I keep it there will be a 3rd.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • laf
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

AT3s here as well. Great on the road so far but haven’t done any green lanes yet with them.

I stuck with the tyre size on the door plate of 255/55/20
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Well I went for the Duratracs! (255/55 R 20)

Got them with a nice set of Defender rims, and am really pleased with the look, much more aggressive stance than the 22" wheels and scorpions, and I was a little surprised how much I prefer the Discovery with them on, as the main driver for the purchase was function rather than looks.

The Duratrac Wranglers have quite an aggressive tread, maybe a little more aggressive than I need but the car feels very secure on some slippery ground. It is a little noisier on the road, but not too bad, and seems slightly 'thumpier' on bumps but still quite comfortable. Overall I'm pretty happy with the upgrade, think they'll be on the Discovery a lot more than I originally planned.

2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum