Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• alex08
    Scotland 

In Glasgow this Weekend

D5 sitting in Buchanan Galleries until Sunday. Chaps with it knowledgeable and helpful & happy to show off all the bits. So..

It is big enough in the 3rd row for me to sit in with room for me also in row 2 and driving position - I am a typical D3 driver so 'larger' build so that is something carried over from the D3. I can't sit the 3rd row of many cars. Access to row 3 worse than the D3 as the row 2 seats don't tip out of the way as well.

Rear seats fold flat - as mentioned elsewhere, with caveats about damage! Maybe the poverty specs won't have the lateral seat bolsters that cause the problem. Big gaps though in the loadspaces so something needs to go over the floor to stop the edges of seats catching or things falling through. If you were to sleep in the back you'd definitely need a firm base on top of the folded seats.

Tailgate issues as described. High load level compared with D3 but similar to RRS2. Fullsize spare ( Thumbs Up ) Less height in loadspace entry (8cm) but wider than D3 - overall more space - fine if you are carrying cushions but not for square things...

Battery in a stupid place in the rear wing.......really?? Confused Confused Shocked OK there is a jump point under the bonnet but it you want to take the battery out to charge then you have a job on your hands.

Air intake runs in a bodywork channel between the front wing, engine compartment and bonnet. Seals from engine compartment but ? above with the bonnet. Bow wave would worry me.

Front recovery point to chassis. Rear is a tow point (screw) but towbar has recovery point - fixed and deployable. The man says you can snatch from the rear using this. If you can deploy the towbar.....!

No tft display like the RRS2 Sad

Tailgate Sad Sad - no ladder option or proper roof rack from LR

Very Happy Apparently there is a LR Winch - has been on the preproduction cars. Chap didn't know how it attached but thought it was a modified bumper.

No FBH - solution apparently is to start the car remotely and let it warm up before you get in. Yes use all 6 cylinders to heat the car rather than the FBH. Apparently no one will drive off with it as the gear thingy won't deploy up with remote starting.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter How long do you think the scroats will take to find a way around that.

Overall a nice village car, but not really a country workhorse. Interior passenger space is good. Loadspace let down by poor entry shape and high load sill. Probably will suit most town people. Think I'll wait and see what transpires with the Defender replacement. Can see lots of them being bought around us!
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

That's a good review - many thanks. Thumbs Up Still want one though. Laughing

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Re: In Glasgow this Weekend

alex08 wrote:
    D5 sitting in Buchanan Galleries until Sunday. Chaps with it knowledgeable and helpful & happy to show off all the bits. So..

Tailgate issues as described. High load level compared with D3 but similar to RRS2. Fullsize spare ( Thumbs Up ) Less height in loadspace entry (8cm) but wider than D3 - overall more space - fine if you are carrying cushions but not for square things...

Did you see the function to lower the rear of the car by 60mm?

If so, was it still high then?
  • alex08
    Scotland 

Forgot to ask about that. It would make things much easier. Might pop back.......
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum