Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Delivery dates seem a bit long......

Hi Guys

Long term LR owner - had an original 2005 ex demo Disco 3, currently running a 2012 RRS, and the wife runs a 2016 Disco Sport, so we are fans, one could say.

I placed my deposit on the new Disco in early September, some weeks before the launch, and expected to get in pretty early. Just got a delivery date from the dealer of June 2017, so a long way beyond the date for the change of VED. This suggests that LR have a shedload of orders for the vehicle, if those who had laid down pre-launch deposits are waiting until 4 months after first deliveries, especially if the production volumes quoted are to be believed.

Given the delay, and the VED impact, I may look elsewhere. It's not that much money, but I am peed off that they can't get me into a vehicle quicker, saving me a fair few hundred quid.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Phil
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I placed a firm order straight after I saw it at the Paris Show at the beginning of October.
    By that I mean an exact specification that went into the order pool.

Several posters here did the same and I guess we were the first solid orders placed.

We are being quoted delivery dates. ( probably to be taken with a pinch of salt ) for end of March or just as likely, April.

When did you go back after the launch to firm up an order?
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

After paying my deposit, I wasn't asked for an order. All I was told was "we have about twenty deposits ahead of you in the queue - you can spec the car up when you've seen it in January". I did say I wanted a First Edition (I no longer do) but this didn't elicit any request for a firm order. I've chased a few times for expected delivery dates, gave a spec in November, but was never told that delivery date would be affected by making a firm order (tbh, I'm not even sure what that means - are people really ordering the vehicle when they haven't seen a production ready version, or driven one, or can you still back out having seen and driven it?)

Seems like some dealers have a different approach, or better understand the LR system? Or, my dealer has so many orders relative to allocation that I'm just further down the queue. All in all, pretty disappointing.

Phil
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I guess you are right in that dealers operate in different ways.

I did not place any deposit early and but did know that they had quite a few deposits from potential buyers.

However when I placed my firm order I was at the front or near the front of their order queue.

Not sure placing a deposit way in advance makes much sense unless the dealer promises to call you and give you the chance to order before anyone else. Is that what your dealer is doing?

I would place an order now and retain the right o cancel if you do not like it.

They will sell it easily enough.
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

Interesting - thanks for the input.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum