Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Matt
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Dilemma

Me and the family are off on our hols to France next week (July 29th). We're getting the ferry over and then driving down to the Alps for three weeks.

My new D5 was originally down for delivery in July but then it slipped to August so I told the dealer I'd wait and take delivery on September 1st as I was away for most of August and I'd then get the new reg number.

Just had a phone call saying that I could take delivery on Thursday or Friday next week, just a day or two before we go to France.

What do I do?????

My D4 is out of warranty so that's a small concern, but am I risking it taking a brand new car abroad so soon after taking delivery in case there are any teething problems early on?

Is it worth hanging on the the new number plate?

I have to make a decision today as the dealer is saying that they would have to send someone to collect the car directly from the factory and will obviously need to set things in motion quickly if I want that to happen.

Help me please!!!???

Matt
  • Craigp
    England 

I had something similar (although not with the new reg) I gave them a ultimatum if the the car didn't arrive by Monday latest (this was April ) I didn't want until my return as I was going away with the caravan 1st thing Thursday. Anyway got a call Tuesday evening saying car arrived on transporter could have it ready by Wednesday mid day did I want it. YES I says. Only you know how desperately you want it. My D4 was also out of warranty so was quite nervous about that also. I had no problems and it my have spoilt my holiday a little thinking about my shiny new car just sat there, but i had been waiting from October for it. Its your call.
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Craig. I've decided to take delivery next week, for all the reasons you've stated in your post.

Pics to follow next week Cool
  • Craigp
    England 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Well Snap!
    We are also off to France in the D5 on the 29th for 3 weeks! Very Happy
    We I'll be towing a twin axle caravan.
    We have had ours for nearly 3 months now and love it, although it is in the dealers now for a few issues, one of which a new part is needed so I think we will also be cutting it fine! Useless after sales service, didn't notice the piece below the A pillar trim was damaged when they were sorting the loose trim, and sent the vehicle back unfixed Bow down
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I would also take it . Even if there are problems there is a large dealer network in France I did a quick dealer search and got 74 results and assuming the warranty extends to Europe you should be fine. I much prefer my D5 to my LR3 especially over long distances. Actually even over short trips! I actually look forward to my daily commute to work and back. Butt then I love my job , honest Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 

Dpetchey wrote:
    Well Snap!
    We have had ours for nearly 3 months now and love it, although it is in the dealers now for a few issues, one of which a new part is needed so I think we will also be cutting it fine! Useless after sales service, didn't notice the piece below the A pillar trim was damaged when they were sorting the loose trim, and sent the vehicle back unfixed Bow down

I'll keep a look out for you Dpetchey!
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

just saw this little gem on the LR web site under holiday driving tips Very Happy

Driving abroad for your holiday? Did you know that in Germany, France and Spain, it’s illegal to drive in flip flops? Different countries have different rules, so familiarise yourself before you set off.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 

Every day's a school day Blackfly!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Dpetchey wrote:
    Well Snap!

Well double snap off to France on Friday/early Saturday towing the T/A down to Chateau Chanteloupe

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Nice one Russel - enjoy!
    That name rings a bell with me, I'm sure we have had over night stops there.
    We are going down to La Rive near Biscorosse Very Happy
    Have a good one and enjoy towing on decent roads Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum