Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Speccing questions

Planning my spec to replace my 11-plate D4 HSE. Got a few questions to help me spec it up. I drive 30k miles a year, drive into the Alps to ski, loaded up with roofbox, camp in the summer with a bike rack and full car. I rarely go off-road or tow, and it will be a lease, do not too fussed about re-sale at the end. Kids are still only little, so need the D4's side-steps to get in and out.

1. Which engine. I know I'll get more answers to this than I've had hot dinners. A few anecdotes on here seem to say the 2l is having to work harder when loaded, and the difference in fuel economy and power is minimal.
    2. What size wheels - (more controversial) road surface in Bucks is terrible. D4 has 20" alloys and it's a bit crashy, but seen posts suggesting 21s or 22s best on road.
    3. Side steps (even more controversial) - have them on the D4, but the D5 automatically lowers for access. Is this low enough for young kids, and is the roof box loadable like this from the ground or are the side steps really necessary for using a roofbox? Seen there's deployable ones now. I don't go off-road, and I expect these will be even more expensive. Again, lease car, so RLD not an option.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I work through specs. I'm thinking HSE Lux with options at the moment. All advice greatly appreciated!
  • J77
    Scotland 

3.0 TD6 without a doubt, suits the car better than the 2.0 SD4, unless you want petrol.

I had 19" wheels on mine, the ride was comfortable but very lofty, I put 21" on a bit harder ride but far better handling. I was going to put the 19" back on but I'm sticking with the 21"

Side steps might be worth it for access to the roof, the kids should be able to climb in at access height, those that have roof boxes will keep you right.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I'll stick to the 2.0.... Coming from a 2.7 D3 the performance increase is significant. Granted it's not as smooth but it's the direction for most manufacturers and modern 4 cylinder engines are very good.

I tow a horse trailer with 2 large horses and it does this effortlessly.

MPG averages close to 40 as opposed to having to try very hard to get near to 40 which you probably can with a 6cyl.

Tax / future tax and associated impact on RV also made me go for the 2.0.

20 inch wheels give a great ride and they look okay; 19 inch probably too small...
  • J77
    Scotland 

41.7mpg on a recent drive to London, without trying. Each to there own but for me the 2.0 should be a lot cheaper than just £1.5k. The 3.0 is worth the premium and regardless of size diesel will be hit with heavy tax in the future.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum