Wow 😳

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Very impressive Thumbs Up
  • Craigp
    England 

So thats where all the disco 5's made todate are!

Also that reminds me so much of my local asda store carpark. Cant wait to put mine through its paces there. Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • J77
    Scotland 

Tut tut tut Asda?

Surely you mean Waitrose, come on man you will be a D5 owner, apparently that's where it will spend all its time Laughing

Perhaps we can hold our forum gatherings in Waitrose car park.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Craigp
    England 

I deliberately avoided waitrose as their car parks can be quite challenging. Very Happy
  • J77
    Scotland 

Well, I'm going to push my one to its limits and take it into a Waitrose car park Laughing

• bill wright
    United Kingdom 

What's up with Aldi and Lidls car parks? They're newish and smooth and represent a real challenge. Laughing

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • Edfors
    Sweden 

Good find! See there are some more as well Very Happy

• Craigp
    England 

Sadly not specd Laughing ed the locking diff. So there pretty off limits to me.
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

Re: D5 proper off-roading in Arizona

Two things would make that impossible in the UK................. a) you would encounter some mindless hillwalker who would attack you for destroying "their" pathway and b) it would 99% be raining and even with D5 capabilities too slippery to get grip!

I'm sure that the cars were in off-road height for rock crawling but they don't look like they are!
    Also it's amazing what you can do in a car that doesn't belong to you................

E-Diff - I have it on my RRS and have not had one on any previous FFRR, RRS or either the D1 or D2 that I have owned. Using the Terrain Response2 in auto mode it is surprising how much work the e-diff does even on trails that I never thought I would need it on, it also helps make greenlaning on 22" road tyres quite surreal as you find that you can go most places that the old Landies can go on MTR's and a diff-lock , no tyre changes needed for dirty weekends off-road! My only worry on low profile 22" tyres is punctures but round our way there are very few places with sharp flints to slash your tyres. I love to see the "defender rules supreme" guys faces when I follow them up and down slopes where they struggle for grip on special tyres and my electronics just send the power where the most grip is and we scramble up with hardly even a hint of wheelspin or having to give the engine the beans to have the power to climb things. I still love my Defender and know when it is better to take that and accept its limitations and leave the RRS at home, also my RRS is simply too wide to get through many of the gaps that my 90 gets through without even folding the wing mirrors in! This is becoming a major issue with all Land Rover products post Freelander2 - they are just too wide for many places whereas a defender is skinny...
  • alex08
    Scotland 

Not only too wide for off road, too wide for on-road in many parts of Scotland. I don't take the RRS up the A82 any more as it is just too likely to hit something slightly oversized coming the other way - and that includes another range rover!

Its not even as if there is more space on the inside. The recent models are all reverse-tardis - enormous on the outside but much reduced space inside. Looks like the D5 is following this pattern.

D5 seemed to do what a D3 could do - anything new? Does it have extended and super-extended modes when you get stuck?
  • J77
    Scotland 

It's only 20mm wider than the current car, it won't make much difference to me. I take my current one down single track roads, this one won't be any different. I didn't think the A82 was that narrow.

• PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

New or improved Off roading bits ...

New Discovery retains its status as the most capable premium SUV in off-road situations, combining advanced technologies with outstanding off-road geometry.

Exceptional ground clearance of 283mm, combined with an approach angle of up to 34 degrees, a break-over angle of 27.5 degrees and departure angle of 30 degrees ensure New Discovery is able to climb up, over and down the most extreme obstacles

New Discovery’s suspension is designed to optimise on-road dynamics, yet its outstanding geometry and wheel articulation of 500mm, aided by advanced air suspension, gives customers even greater confidence and capability when negotiating arduous and undulating surfaces.

A wading depth of 900mm ranks New Discovery at the top of the class against the competition, ensuring the newest addition to Discovery family is able to conquer even tougher terrain than its predecessor.

For the ultimate all-terrain capability New Discovery features a two-speed transfer box as standard, providing selectable high and low range gears for optimum on-road and off-road performance. The intelligent system provides a standard 50/50 torque split between front and rear wheels, but uses a range of sensors to distribute torque between the wheels depending on the conditions.

The two-speed fully synchronised ‘shift on the move’ system allows the driver to swap between high and low ratios without having to stop the vehicle, at speeds of up to 60km/h (37mph).

Following its introduction on Range Rover Evoque, New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s innovative All-Terrain Progress Control technology (ATPC).

The unique system allows the driver to set a crawl speed ranging from 2km/h up to 30km/h (19mph) allowing them to concentrate on steering the vehicle and negotiating difficult terrain while the technology controls engine and braking functions.

With the system in operation the driver can use the cruise control functions to adjust the speed while an icon in the instrument cluster shows the existing setting and mode.

ATPC is fitted with a unique Low Traction Launch feature, designed to help to pull away smoothly and easily when accelerating on low-friction surfaces such as wet grass or ice.

Terrain Response 2 Auto
    New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s next-generation Terrain Response 2 technology, which automatically monitors the driving conditions to ensure the vehicle is primed to cope with a range of surfaces; General driving; Grass, Gravel and Snow; Mud and Ruts; Sand; and Rock Crawl.

The intuitive system optimises a range of vehicle settings to suit the conditions, from the throttle mapping and steering responses to the suspension set-up and traction control settings. Alternatively, the centre-mounted dial allows the driver to manually select the appropriate setting simply and efficiently.

Land Rover’s four-corner air suspension system not only improves ride quality when driving on-road but also provides greater capability when off-roading.

With its two-stage off-road mode the automatic system is able to vary between two ride heights of +40mm and +75mm. At speeds below 50km/h (31mph) the +75mm setting is available and for faster speeds on rutted dirt roads, between 50-80km/h (31-50mph), the vehicle will operate at +40mm. In addition, the new Speed Lowering function cuts drag and enhances fuel economy by automatically reducing the ride height by 13mm at cruising speeds above 105km/h (65mph).

Other functions include enhanced tuning to prevent the suspension from lowering in deep wading conditions, as well as preventing belly-out situations where the centre of the vehicle rests on the ground.

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • alex08
    Scotland 

J77 wrote:
    I didn't think the A82 was that narrow.

bottom end - twisty bit around loch lomond. Old style A road (like the old A9) but with a rock face at the road edge on one side and a stone wall on the other. And many blind corners.......
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

Alex, that is the middle section between Tarbert and Inverarnan, at least now the Devil's Pulpit section has been widened and the single file traffic and traffic lights are no longer, I have had a few scary moments at 3am driving up that towing a trailer behind RRS and FFRR on my way to Oban for the ferry out to Tiree - it's a 2 wheel trailer that simply refuses to reverse without jack-knifing so every time I met a Tesco delivery truck returning from the overnight restock run of the Oban and Fort William branches met passenger had to get out, unhitched the trailer and push it back far enough along the road to let the Larry pass! In the end I started using the A84 via Port of Mentieth and Callander from my place as even the Lake of Mentieth road was easier than the A82 at 3am! In the summer when we go green laning up at Killin it is sometime still faster to come home via Crianlarrich and the A82 than to get stuck in the miles of standing traffic stopped by some crazy motor cyclist who has take one too many risks on the Glenogle run and either hit a car or a sheep wandering on the road as he pelts along at >100mph.............. there are now permanent unmarked police motorbikes and weekend speed traps all along that road between Strachur and Killin and from there to Crianlarrich on the long fast straights, there have been so many motorcyclist deaths......... I get regular call outs as a part-time paramedic to assist on busy weekends up there in the summer and it can be grim scrapping up bits of biker from the road and out of the front screen of granny and grandpa's mangled up car.............. perils of living in the area and having been at school and still in contact with local police and medics.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum