Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Wheel & Tyre changing

Question - I read that a lot of people have changed or swapped there tyres (and wheels) to get their optimum choice.
    I am looking & thinking of doing the same.
    What have people done with regard TPMS sensors?
    I have 21's at the moment with 275 45 R21 tyres.
    Have been looking at 20's with 255 55 R20 tyres (GG AT3's probably)
    Am actually looking at Range Rover take off wheels - so already have sensors fitted.
    But will the D5 just read the RR sensors ????

Thanks
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

There's a thread regarding TPMS sensors https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread913.html that seems to indicate that the sensors need to be calibrated by the dealer when changed or new ones installed. Not sure if this is the case for just swapping wheels over.
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hum - thanks for that -
    Confirmed my worries -
    With different wheels & tyres it looks like new sensors are needed & a trip to the dealer !!!
    At the moment there doesn't appear to be much tyre choice in 21 inch size.
    Will keep my eyes open over the coming months - - -
    Thanks
  • J77
    Scotland 

I went from 19” to 21” they were Range Rover take offs with no TPMS valves, I bought a set of 4 from eBay for £70 I think, all set ready to go. Car picked them up no problem.

LR wanted £280 for 4 plus code them to the car, eBay is the way to go, I’ll try and find the link.

EDIT - Found the link, prices have went up a bit since I bought them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISC...Sw4CFYzSuc

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I wonder whether you can just not have the monitors? Will the car throw a hissy fit if there are no sensors?
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

J77 wrote:
    I went from 19” to 21” they were Range Rover take offs with no TPMS valves, I bought a set of 4 from eBay for £70 I think, all set ready to go. Car picked them up no problem.

LR wanted £280 for 4 plus code them to the car, eBay is the way to go, I’ll try and find the link.

EDIT - Found the link, prices have went up a bit since I bought them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISC...Sw4CFYzSuc

So you didn't have any issues at all ? The D5 picked them up and hasn't popped a fault ?

Lucky you. I had a bit of a row with the dealership's service guy who served me like i was at a Lada dealership. Conceded answers talking to me like i was a criminal for putting non JLR parts on my D5.

He could have simply coded them into the D5 system but instead decided to pressure me into buying 4 TPMS from them. Around £500 !!! with VAT.
    And i got to drive a Jeep Rubicon to my displeasure.

I've written a lengthy letter i will be sending to their Customer Relations, Sales Director and Service Manager. Saying everything that happened and that i will now be going to their competition, a different JLR dealer. Where i will probably be treated the same way. I've not heard good things about them so, we'll see.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Chrismcnaz wrote:
    I wonder whether you can just not have the monitors? Will the car throw a hissy fit if there are no sensors?

I wonder too, but i have a feeling that it will give a TPMS fault as mine did intermittently" I would think not having any the system is always looking for them and tells you it can't find them.

Has anyone tried ?

• arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

I have the ones from ebay link above. Put them on my winter tyres five weeks ago and have no issues and
    not a single warning. Pressure readings were in the monitor from the very first drive.

My dealer said that it should be ok to not have the TPMS.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Those eBay ones are JLR OE so i guess the D5 recognizes them. There must be a part of the software in the D5 that detects when it's not a JLR TPMS and doesn't agree with it, sending faults.

Would have been cheaper for me to order those and have sent overseas than what JLR charged me over here. Oh well.

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I removed most of the sensors on my LR3 and always had the check tyres warning light on however I suspect the systems in the 3 .are years behind the D5 so who knows what could happen.

Had my winters (Pirelli Scorpions) put on yesterday onto the stock wheels 20 inch. So far so good Wink

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Just try them before buying new ones. Had RRS take-off wheels with sensors and they worked just fine.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I got new D5 sensors from my dealer for my off road wheels/tyres. The car recognised the new sensors no problem.
    So you don't need to go to the dealer to get the sensors calibrated to the vehicle.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

I have a feeling either:

- Aftermarket TPMS can't get recognized by the D5. The JLR software can handshake only OE TPMS.

- If my aftermarket TPMS had not been coded to the same codes as my OE's they would have worked. As in, simply installed with the factory coding.

Either way, the ones on eBay seem to work perfectly and they are cheaper than aftermarket ones. Well, in Canada they are.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum