Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Cold weather start

well we had the first frost here today, it had warmed up to 3C by the time I went to go to work. Starting was not as instant as normal,

Like it says in the book;

For vehicles with a diesel engine, the delay period before cranking begins is longer in low ambient temperatures. The extended delay period is due to extended glow plug operation. During this extended delay period, the brake pedal must remain firmly pressed.

Wonder what it like at -25C Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

In my past experiences with diesel engines, it's never more than a second or two. Basically just long enough to un-gel the fuel in the injectors.

Interestingly, I have been told by Land Rover that the only additive approved for Land Rover Td6 engines is "DFC plus HP Extra Cold Weather Performance with Cetane Improver" (BG part no. 23811) from BG Products.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

this will be my first Canadian winter with a diesel. I am led to believe that the fuel up here has additives but I am not sure as to the accuracy of this. Maybe ForlornMTL can give an opinion.

If this is the case I likely will not be adding anything.

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Luckily i read this thread as there is no way to be alerted when someone posts your name on a thread.

I had a VW TDI for a few years and never had an issue. Never added anything to fuel.
    A coworker has a VW TDI and he never puts anything either.

Yes, at -30 Celcius it can be a bit harder to start but if the battery is not drained and it keeps cranking the starter, there should be no issues.

Also, a diesel takes longer to heat up so it's a good thing we have remote start...oh wait, mine works 2-3% of the time. But the heated vented seats and heated steering should cure that quickly.

With my VW i had enough time to get to work 12-13 minutes away before any heat would come out of the vents hahahahaha.

Luckily the office moved and work is now 19-21 minutes away. More time to heat up. Laughing

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

I used to use PowerService DieselKleen in the white bottle in my Touareg TDI if I was up in the mountains and parking it outside overnight in the winter. Temps there can drop to -15F to -20F, especially in places like Silverton or around Wolf Creek. Even in those temps, it was maybe a second or two delay between button press and engine start.

Fuel stations outside large truck stops here don't supply a winter blend, as at least on the Front Range temps don't drop below 20F and stay there all winter.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

-28c last night. No issues at all. Luckily the remote start has been working lately. So i did not hear how it started and if any strange noises were being made.
    Have not noticed anything at any temperature other than louder sounding engine noise but not an unhealthy sound.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Same here. Nothing to get worried about.

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Mine will sound a little clattery for a minute after it starts up in really cold weather, but after a minute of easy driving she's got her growl back.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum