Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Roof rails

Just taken delivery of D5 for Mrs L and looking at roof rails...

1. Any thoughts or experience of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Roof-Rai...wUIhZY595. £299 on eBay.

2. Dark blue car and silver wheels... Has to be silver roof bars?

Ta.
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Being honest I looked at these myself - and ended up buying originals from Duckworths.
    The original brackets & parts are very intricate - a copy would have to be very good.
    Also the main brackets which go inside the rail to attach between the rail & roof need to be good & strong. I'm not sure a copy will be of strong enough?
    You pay your money & take your choice.
    I guess if the rails are more for show - these will be OK.
    Also remember you will need the replacement rear roof lights.
    The ones you have don't have the holes in them.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

I bought a per for my DS from eBay and the were great just as good as LR ones and easy to fit. You will need a step ladder for the D5 Rolling with laughter

Just compare the cost and do what suits you, but the eBay ones are very good.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

The roof trims when removed have the cutots marked on the back so with time and patients it would be possible to cut and re-use them thus saving a few quid

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

I bought a black set as I thought the LR ones were a bit expensive. They're very good and relatively easy to fit if you have the right tools. Makes the car look even prettier, but in a tough way. Cool
    Don't pay the listed price - make an offer at least 25% lower!!
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I had mine fitted by my LR dealer and for the price expected them to come with cross bars as well Sad
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The quality of the metal used on the copies I would personally not be confident with. Probably OK but may not be.

If the LR ones fail under normal / designed use you'd be covered by their warranty and any damage the failed rail caused too I suspect.

The copies you'd be on your own.

Personally I'd always use genuine parts for critical items like load bearing roof rails... you'd not buy a cheap Chinese copy tyre, or brake pads /disks !

Just my opinion of course.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Unless just for show, the copies should be fine, but if for load bearing then the Genuine ones.
    We went for genuine ones even though we will never carry stuff on the roof as thats what the trailer is for.
    Mind you it does finish the car off aesthetically imho, plus was worried i may scratch the roof or crack the glass, hence got the garage too fit them, as they have the correct tools and platform ladders Smile

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

HDFB110 wrote:

Also remember you will need the replacement rear roof lights.
    The ones you have don't have the holes in them.

Thanks, useful. Surprised re the roof lights and holes, are we sure? I might pop the trim off tomorrow and take a look, but if it's the same as the disco sport, then the holes are just there below the trims regardless of whether roof rails came factory fitted.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

I didn't need any replacement trims, I simply drilled the existing ones.
    You need to be confident, measure twice cut once etc. but it's strightforward if you're careful.

The 'copy' ones I fitted are quite substantial and well made. They certainly feel secure. Whether the alloy proves it's longevity remains to be seen but I will rarely, if ever, carry any significant load on the roof. That said, I would have no hesitation in doing so.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum