Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rotalution
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Fuji White

Who is sour of 2018 TFT dash?

I am, after only owning the vehicle since August 2017 as the D5 only started delivery in Aus around August/late July.

My comfort to myself are TFT might break down easier/more expensive to repair and my experience with the Velar is it is little buggy. Laughing
  • Mark^^
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Normal process for manufacturers to change minor or significant parts from one year model to another. I knew the change was coming when I brought mine and still did not blink. Remember the change came with a $6.5 K jump in price, which also saw the InControl system move from an add on option to a part of the standard kit.
  • rotalution
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Fuji White

if they gave me an option for TFT 6k i would tick yes.

Anyway I am just sour, the car is spacious and comfortable. Just minor rattle noise in mid console surrounding LCD after being to the dealer few times still. zzzz
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I had a feeling this would be in the first model refresh as it was clear the electronics architecture was the same across the RRS/FFRR and D5 but came in earlier than I thought. I am guessing the cost of maintaining the different software variants IC and ICP as well as the different panels outweighed the costs/model differentiation they got.

I justified it on the basis that I will probably change it when the Ingenium replacement for the V6 is available and the first facelift (or maybe "buttlift") happens. My D4 was ready at the time otherwise I would have bought a 2018.
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I think you can keep chasing the latest model for ever and ever amen. I'm now looking at a FFRR and to dodge the clunky old infotainment unit and get the 10" screen (In Control Pro) you have to get a 17MY, but then there's the Duo set up of the 18MY and what will they do next year. The answer is to buy what you want and never go into a showroom again. In reality, they all do what they did before with a slightly less attractive interface. It's not something you are forever playing with when driving, you set it up and off you go. I think the 17MY will suit my needs very well and they can stick the Duo coz I aint lookin no more! Rolling Eyes

Cancelled my order for 18MY HSE Luxury TD6 in Byron Blue with Oyster/Riems blue. Full Dynamic pack with deployable tow bar, Drive Pro pack, cubby fridge, 22" 5011's, ugly kid glass, mudflaps, passenger footwell net and adaptive headlights.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Especially as the Duo seems to have even more problems than our set up!1 Thumbs Up
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    I think you can keep chasing the latest model for ever and ever amen. I'm now looking at a FFRR and to dodge the clunky old infotainment unit and get the 10" screen (In Control Pro) you have to get a 17MY, but then there's the Duo set up of the 18MY and what will they do next year. The answer is to buy what you want and never go into a showroom again.

You are of course 100% correct, I put this one in the "minor irritation" box as the omission was clearly a positioning only based decision as the technology was mature, proven and available. Launching something that was already the old generation when the car was new made it obvious (I even posted something on Disco4 at the time saying it would be in the first refresh).

The dual screen, new engines etc all need to start somewhere, and this of course has to work in the model cycles. It is minor for me as it was not material to me for my decision, I was aware of it and had the option to wait if it was a big deal so no buyers remorse. I also made a similar choice to go with the "old" V6 rather than wait for what ever comes down the line. No buyers remorse for me at all, if you are happy with your decision at the time and it met your needs, what they do in the future shouldn't impact it.

I wouldn't wait for the dual screen on the FFRR but the ICP is worth choosing over the previous generation even with the pleasure of working for free on JLR's QA team. ICP is just better in every way than the old (which let's face it was not completely free of bugs) but the dual screen smacks of "we have done it because we can" rather than because it is better. I was glad to get my "hard buttons" back when the loaner went in.

The only hard bit in your comment is "never go into a showroom again", correct but I am realistic enough to know I am too weak to do that. Very Happy
  • J77
    Scotland 

jimbg wrote:
    Especially as the Duo seems to have even more problems than our set up!1 Thumbs Up

None with mine so far, works a treat.

Though live services don’t work.

Loving the interactive dash

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

It wasn’t so much that it didn’t work (although the demist button took multiple efforts).
    It was more than it wasn’t better than the hard ones in my opinion, and the steering wheel ones were just not as effective on intuitive as the steering wheel ones.

It was an HSE so maybe the clutter that it adds got on the way but the OLED display under the now touch based steering wheel button last were worse in my opinion than what I have.

And I mean the dual screen, not the lcd dash that is very good.
  • J77
    Scotland 

That’s a fortnight I’ve been running about in the Velar, the dual screens just feel normal now. I would like some sort of feedback when a function is pressed though.

• neilk
    United Kingdom 

On reflection - yes that is what i didn’t like, not the screen itself.

That was exactly the issue with the Demist.

And I really wanted to be wowed by it as well.

I do think the Velar is great by the way, I wouldn’t not have one because of this. The initial pricing was scary though.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:
    jimbg wrote:

None with mine so far, works a treat.

Though live services don’t work.

Loving the interactive dash

Hi J77, glad yours is working OK. Lots of tales on the RRS forum about MY18 being delayed and the few that have them are having screen crashes.
  • J77
    Scotland 

My D5 was fine for the first 5 months, then things started to happen. I’ll report back then Laughing

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Shame there isn’t night vision option for the new dash.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

There sort of is . I use the driver assistance setting, which removes the dials and just has a dim road graphic. Works fairly well, but I probably wouldn't use it without the HUD for speed feedback.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum