Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Insurance

Happy to find out my insurance is no more expensive than with the D4 through APlan ..anyone have experiences of it going up ?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I'm with LV and changing from D4 SE Tech to D5 V6D Se I got a refund with 8 months to go.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I moved mine to Lloyds bank and it went down significantley

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

So what are we all paying????
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Censored all Mr. Green

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Laughing

Inside M25 postcode ...I'm paying £520, fully comp+ full no claims + wife +NCP +off road +legal +usual crap
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Mine is on a fleet insurance so its bundled into that.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Mine is less to insure via NFU than the Disco Sport HSE Lux was Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine's about £50 more than an R Line Touareg. Max No Claims,
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Hi All

I've red thiese posts with interest and thought I would add some insight into the conversations. I worked in the insurance industry and ran for 4 years, a large van / business car and minifleet portfolio with my own underwriting, pricing and operation teams, so know a fair amount about motor rating. No insurer is making much money in motor and all have slightly different appetites, which tend to change monthly as they try to keep loss ratios flat across many variables. Motor pricing is an arms race amongst insurers, with each looking for he next predictive risk factor that will allow them to outperform their competitors, and a number of insurers have now made an exit from the market due to heavy losses - the motor market has recorded Combined Operating Ratios (i.e. Over 100% is loss making) over 100% for at least a decade. There are around at least 20 different variables which interact to produce your own individual price, which not only include he questions you answer, but also third party data such as credit score, abi groupings, postcode and your own loss experience, it might even include the time of day you submit the quote, the quality of the broker you might use etc. At the same time, I know that prices tend to constantly increase, motor inflation is a problem being driven by many factors, including the expense of repairs as technology increases, issues such as fraudulent claims and the recent Ogden rate cut has hit motor result to around £3bn as well. Against this, new technology is also helping, AEB and other safety devices is slowly reducing accident frequencies and the increasing use of dash cams give an insurer a much better ability to protect their customers from fault claims in a situation where the other party is at fault and lies.. So whilst we might all moan and challenge the increasing cost of motor insurance, we could all do with better understanding of the dynamics that the industry is facing - in my time running the portfolio, I probably saw around 2-3 claims per annum that would be between £2m and in the worst case, £9m payouts to support an individual that have been badly injured as a result of a motor accident, helping them to continue to have some sort of life. Whilst I don't defend insurers as they do need to continue to work hard to improve their cost bases, I do hope that the above has shed some light on the intricacies of motor insurance. When I left the insurer where I ran the above portfolio, I left the fleet scheme (and had to give back my BMW X5 much to my wife's delight), I had to buy my own individual insurance and although not surprised by the ranges of insurance quotes available, I did manage to shop around and negotiate a fair price for my D4 Landmark at that time, with zero no claims. I guess that I would also therefore add that it pays to shop around and don,t be afraid to negotiate hard! When I moved to my D5, my insurance reduced by about £20 a year although the value went up by over £20k. Just goes to show that the insurers no longer really worry about the theft aspect, but it is the third party injury claims that tend to cost the most and with better tech to avoid and minimise accidents, the D5 is therefore a better risk!

Hope the above is useful and informative, and hopefully haven't come across as too much of an insurance geek!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

That was an excellent summary Swigs.
    Very informative and a real eye-opener.
    Invaluable info, worth its weight in gold Thumbs Up
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Oh No... Not at all Shocked

Whilst i can comprehend your many and varied explanations, Age, experience and NCB should also factor into the equation. When i was 19 and driving an XR2 i couldn't wait to be 21. Then i'd gotten a Golf GTI and couldnt wait for my 21st, then 30th, 40th...

All my insurance has ever done is go up every year, earlier on this month i had my car written off, i've got £5K less than my vehicle was worth, and the replacement vehicle i should have had never materialised, and i found out myself checking the DVLA.gov website that the driver was insured but his MOT was 2 weeks out of date and the veh was SORN'd. Had i not checked that no one would have known.

The MOT Failure was listed, excessive tyre wear, perished, cracked tyres, wire banding showing, power steering innop, suspension has excessive play, brake pads below minimum.

nearly a month on and the finance hasnt been settled and i've not got the remainder back. I've also spent the best part of a month on the phone with them explaining in detail exactly what heppened even though i have dash cam footage,

It's probably easier and cheaper to have NO Insurance.
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My insurance just cam up for renewal. I got the letter and an email they wanted to put it up by £50 from £580 to £630. I was not to happy paying £580 last year but I did it to save hassle. 3 months after I paid it for the RRS I changed to the D5 and it was just simple to change the car on the policy. So this year I thought it would be a little less. anyway I took the details from the print off and set about getting quotes from others. some wanted more but most about the same then I read one of you got a good deal from Lloyds and I had not tried them. I put my details in the same as I had with all the others and it cam back at £330 I thought that I must have made a mistake it what I had put in how could it be £300 cheaper?
    so I called them and checked it all again. All fine, she then said did I want to proceed I said yes there and then. Just shows you how much of a difference there can be!
  • Tom Wilder
    England 

The Insurance ratings for D5 are slightly lower than a D4 and should help to reduce premiums.
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for the lloyds link. Just got a quote for £338 with legal and NCDP. With Guaranteed Replacement Car cover, Very Happy

Had a similar quote from the AA but without the extras.

I will go someway to pay for my £450 road tax Crying or Very sad
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum