Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Nenad

Differences between trunks

I believe this is the right place to ask - anyone knows what is the difference between trunks or equipment levels in Discovery 5 that have additional space in the trunk left of the third row seats and those which have some bump with grill there?

Compare this https://goo.gl/images/b3CTBb and this https://goo.gl/images/AtL5iP picture, and you'll notice the difference.

I am in final stages of deciding to buy one, so I am trying to learn as much about the vehicle as possible.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Looks to me that the picture with the grill and vents has rear air conditioning, whereas the other does not Smile
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My car has rear air conditioning and looks like picture 2
  • Nenad

DG wrote:
    Looks to me that the picture with the grill and vents has rear air conditioning, whereas the other does not Smile

At some point I thought that the one with the grill has air suspension and therefore extra space needed, but in reviews one can clearly see the ones without grill to use air suspension.

Then I thought maybe a sub-woofer?
  • Nenad

DG wrote:

That is certainly true!

Now to find out if the existence of "grill" and air vents is a correlation or a causation. Smile

I mean, if having the vents in the third row will cost me this neat little extra space, then I don't want them.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have air suspension, I do NOT have a 3rd row, and that grille is not present.

MY17.

If that grille is for HVAC to the 3rd row, the person on the left is going to either be really hot or really cold. Seems like they could figure something else out in that respect.

Doesn't look like a subwoofer. If it is for the 1500 watt sound system that used to be available that nobody ever bought on the Rangies, then the person sitting in the 3rd row left will get their innards scrambled.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Nenad wrote:

I mean, if having the vents in the third row will cost me this neat little extra space, then I don't want them.

The vents will be there when you select 3rd row air conditioning. Having it would depend on how much you want you 3rd row passengers to travel in comfort.

Ron
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

It’s the rear air con intake not vent (blower). The vents are in the C pillar at head(ish) height.

Disco Sport has similar setup though somewhat smaller situated in the rear of the boot on the right by the hatch.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Nenad

Thank you for your answer, it seams like "afterthought" solution. Like it's not linked with main AC system at all. Wouldn't it be simpler just to bring the air (hot or cold) from the front, like they do for the second row?

I will definitely skip that option, since third row would be only for occasional use, and even then I will need as much storage space as possible, since it's very limited behind third row.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Behind the third row you have the same space as a D5 with or without rear air con. TBH the inset doesn’t add that much storage space.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

jimbg wrote:
    My car has rear air conditioning and looks like picture 2

Same as mine.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Picture two is the same as mine and it is where the rear aircon fan assembly is, picture one is for cars with no rear aircon
    From memory it was similar on D3/4's

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum