Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• F355GTS
    United Kingdom 

1st steps towards a D5, a few questions

Starting to think more seriously about a D5 having had 2 x D3 and 2 x D4 it's time to consider something newer, probably looking at an HSE as don't need rear entertainment and not the biggest fan of wheels over 20"

I've done some searching but would be grateful to owners for any pointers as to whats good, what's not so good either as is or compared to a D4.

Any must have options?

Given the new public hatred for Diesel how good/ bad is the 3.0 Si6 by comparison to the 3.0 TDV6 in the D4?

The car will do around 8k miles a Year, mostly reasonably short runs perhaps 10-15 miles with a once a year trip to the Alps, if I go with the Diesel am I likely to have problems with the reported oil dilution problem?

Many thanks for all and any advice/ pointers to specific threads/ reports Thumbs Up
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I’ve not driven the Si6, but it looks well on paper and by all accounts is very thirsty. For a Disco tho I’d just stick to Diesel.

As for must haves, the HSE ticks all the boxes, I plumped for tinted windows as a must have, the rest of the spec pretty much spot on.
    I went for steps and roof rails.

My Oil dilution has settled down and the DEF fluid are both dropping at similar rates, I’m keeping a weekly log on a spreadsheet in case I need any come back,

Overall I’m really happy with mine, coming from a D4 you are sure to notice a difference in comfort and quality. I’ve driven 4 FFRR’s over the past 3 years. All Autobiography’s “work” and this feels no different to them, apart from the V8 of course.

I’d say the difference inside the cabin where the centre console and sat nav are located are the key improvements, driving position appears to be more relaxed, in fact it’s almost effortless.
    At present mines not gone wrong, so it’s easy to appreciate a new car that is reliable, I had an absolute horror with a Disco Sport in 2015 and I’ve not looked at another since, as soon as I saw the D5 I was hooked. Like you said, you know that you want one It’s just a matter of time.

My best advice would be to speak to your dealer and take their demo over a long weekend, the sales guy won’t like it as he’s probably got something pencilled in for it himself over the weekend, at the end of the day your paying so drive a hard bargain. They’re not selling ANY diesels because of the uncertainty and that’s every manufacturer So my advice is be unrealistic I was and they accepted it it because they needed the sale, from a sales guy perspective, the dealer network but interestingly from a manufacturers perspective, they had LR discount mine,

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • J77
    Scotland 

I haven’t driven the Si6 but only read the Autocar review, which said it was thirsty and torque comes a bit to high in the rev range for a large SUV.

Me personally I’d take one of the diesels, the SD4 I was pleasantly surprised with but for an extra £1.5k I’d take the TD6. Switching to petrol is the in thing at the moment but the high taxes will apply to them soon enough when the government want all ICE vehicles off the road in favour of EVs.

Deals should be easy to get especially on the diesels, I got £3k off my Velar.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • F355GTS
    United Kingdom 

Thanks guys Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

If the vast majority of my trips were only 10-15 miles I would get a petrol car instead.(and I'd consider getting a runabout not a Disco). Years ago I had a Nissan Pathfinder with DPF doing short trips and the oil level between checks was going up - fuel dilution of engine oil. Fuel consumption went from 11L/100km to 16.5L/100km due to the DPF re-gen never finishing. I traded it in for a non-DPF D4. Knowing the issues people have reported with the new TD6 diesel I will mostly use it for longer trips, and use the other (petrol) car for short trips driving in the city.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

If you want a diesel go for the 2L SD4. It's a cracking engine. Surprisingly good in fact. Not missing the TDV6 at all apart from the whooshing sound it makes Wink

No oil dilution issues with the SD4 either.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Paramike wrote:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/discovery/103213/new-land-rover-discovery-si6-2018-review
    the article above might be useful

Interesting...the article gives a price difference between petrol and diesel but my Si6 was exactly the same price as the SDV6. So went petrol.

Diesel vs petrol ? Depends on use. I don’t tow, I have a D3 for off-road/overland trips and I’ve got used to having to change down for those occasions the low-down torque would be there.

But for a big 4x4 it is smooth and quiet. And rapid when needed.

Fuel consumption on short distances is high. Long distance is better than expected.

2018MY HSE Si6
    D3 2007MY HSE with a couple of extras....
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

The two litre petrol may be worth a look? According to reviews, more low down grunt than the 3.0 petrol and the lighter weight than diesel makes the front end a bit keener to turn in. Mpg not great but may suit your lower annual mileage well
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum