Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

.[/quote] You have to put your beer down first, at least that's how I do it. Cool Rolling with laughter[/quote]

Ah yes, of course that would give me two hands then wouldn't it, darn it I never thought of that Rolling with laughter

All sorted now, decided to drill the stud off of the rear cross bars. Instead of grinding it off I used a large drill bit and drilled it off from behind, then the stud just fell out. No jagged edges left either.
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

How have you gotten on with this arrangement of removing the pin? Have you carried any heavy loads?

Facing a similar dilemma. Looking to buy bars imminently as I have a European holiday in just over a weeks time. I'm sure my wife is going to insist on packing way too much and I'll be off to Halfords the day before we leave to buy a roof box.

I'd rather keep it fully standard and from what I've read the LR bars combined with Thule XL roofbox provides a nice quiet experience which I really need for a 14+ hour drive. I was pretty much set on buying the LR bars but looking at them a few more times they'll be rubbish for more general use on account of being so close together!

Things that concern me about Thule bars:

- Not standard LR kit
    - Placement might require a lot of faff to find a good quiet location with roof box
    - If not placed in the same position the LR bars are supposed to sit, is the load safely and evenly spread to supported areas of the roof through the roof rails?

Things that concern me about removing the pins from the LR bars:

- Are they actually fully secure without the pins - perhaps the pins are not just to help the user position them but provide some extra protection from the bar slipping off the rail too?
    - If not placed in the same position they are supposed to sit, is the load safely and evenly spread to supported areas of the roof through the roof rails?[/list]

It's a bit of an odd one.

If the placement of the bars is not for a specific reason i.e. safely distributing the load across the load bearing parts of the roof; why would they limit the user to this position with the pins and holes?

If the holes were required for securing the rails properly, but the position was not critical then you'd think they would have additional holes providing a few other placement options to enable carrying longer loads.

If the position is not limited for structural / load bearing reasons, and if the pins are not required to ensure the bars are fully secured, why have the pins at all?

It's all very confusing. The BMW cross bars for my X5 didn't have locating pins and could be used in any position, they even adjusted in width to accommodate the varying width between the roof rails as you move front/back. The max roof loading was also significantly higher at 100KG. The D5's 75KG limit is quite surprising for a car that's supposed to have rugged capability.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Roof bars

Hi, I have only removed the pins from the rear bar and the clamp is strong enough to hold it in position. The heaviest that I have carried was four railway sleepers on a sixty mile journey with no problem. The bars stayed in position, the weight did not affect the ride of the vehicle so all in all I am pleased with my modification.
    I did only move the rear bar about just under a foot.
    If you were anywhere near me you could borrow mine, I have just taken them off so are loose in my garage.
    Good luck on your European trip, anywhere interesting ? I haven't been anywhere recently but Croatia and Hungary were places I used to visit November, December and January for a week at a time.
    Not sure how I will manage now we are no longer in the EU
    Good luck,
    Eddy McC
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Hey thanks for the reply.

Trip is down to the foot of the Pyrenees in Southern France. Nothing too exciting, just visiting my parents who retired there a few years ago. Still, a good road-trip for the newly acquired D5 and bound to be interesting with a 16 month old infant!

I have probably been overthinking this. I've decided to go for the Thule wingbars on the basis that I can locate them in the same position as the stock bars for general/roofbox use but move the front bar forwards when carrying a long load - so it offers the front roof some protection while loading and unloading.

I'll proactively buy the roofbox this weekend as I guess with a growing family it'll eventually be required anyhow. That'll give me an opportunity to test it out and try a few different positions if there's more noise than I'd like (ideally no additional cabin noise). Worst case I'll end up with a set of second hand LR bars for roofbox use and keep the Thule bars for anything else.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Roof Bars

Pity you aren't closer to me because you could have borrowed mine and fiddled with them here to see if they suited you.
    I'm at SP4 8ET
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

JBFUK wrote:
    Hey thanks for the reply.

Trip is down to the foot of the Pyrenees in Southern France. Nothing too exciting, just visiting my parents who retired there a few years ago. Still, a good road-trip for the newly acquired D5 and bound to be interesting with a 16 month old infant!

I have probably been overthinking this. I've decided to go for the Thule wingbars on the basis that I can locate them in the same position as the stock bars for general/roofbox use but move the front bar forwards when carrying a long load - so it offers the front roof some protection while loading and unloading.

I'll proactively buy the roofbox this weekend as I guess with a growing family it'll eventually be required anyhow. That'll give me an opportunity to test it out and try a few different positions if there's more noise than I'd like (ideally no additional cabin noise). Worst case I'll end up with a set of second hand LR bars for roofbox use and keep the Thule bars for anything else.

Where in the south east are you?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

SP4 8ET not far from Stonehenge.
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the offer, really kind, but I'm in north Kent so would be quite a trek. I've ordered the Thule Wingbars now, should arrive tomorrow so I'll soon know how they fit. I guess initially I'll put them in the same positions the LR bars would attach, see how that goes, seems to be ideal for a large box.

If while testing with the roof box it doesn't clear the sharkfin and/or is noisy I'll just have to buy some LR bars specifically for that purpose and swallow the extra cost.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

EMcC wrote:
    SP4 8ET not far from Stonehenge.
    Sorry too far from us otherwise we could have met up and you could have borrowed mine

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Molesworth
    United Kingdom 

Hello all

Our 2023MY is apparently turning up this month, and I was looking for recs on roof bars. We’ve had Whispbars on our Audis previously, but they’re out of stock, so I’m looking at either the OEM or the Thule.

We just carry a Kamei Delphin box, that’s all.

Which bars would you go with?
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

I have the wingbar evo’s. They’re ok for the roof box, allow for plenty of adjustment. No noise with the box on but they do whistle at ~30-40mph without the box which is annoying if you want to remove the box once at your destination but leave the bars on.

I brought a Foldy trailer just before Xmas so doubt I’ll use the roof bars for anything other than the roof box now, otherwise I might consider trying something different.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum