Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• CumbrianCanary
    United Kingdom 

Dash Cam

I am keen to get a dash cam installed into my new car which I collect tomorrow. I don't like the idea of having wires all around the car, so would want to get in hard wired in. Has anyone done this with a successful outcome?

I am in Cumbria and been looking for a company to professionally install them, but not coming up with many options. So keen to see if this is something I could do myself, or if it should be left to someone who knows that they are doing!!

Been looking at the NextBase cameras as they seem to get very good reviews.

TIA
    CC
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Easy to do, fit behind the mirror on the left hand side, sticky pad fitting within the black speckled area
    Run cable under edge of headlining between that and windscreen to left "A" post cover, cable then sits just under the top of the "A" cover, pull door seal off and run cable down behind and into the baack of the glove box where there is a fuse box, pick up a ignition live or permenaent live from there job done

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Yep! Exactly where I put my cable for my dash cam Smile
  • Craigp
    England 

Yes did mine as above. I'm sure I posted what number fuse I used (it goes live when ignitiòn turned on) also what piggy back fuse type I fitted.
    Have a look back at the old posts i did it about 11 months ago. Laughing
  • Craigp
    England 
  • Craigp
    England 

Used spare fuse slot No51. As previously stated this comes live when ignition on. The fuses are micro2. Someone has put a link to a company supplying the piggyback fuse feed. ( It may even have been you) also ordered some fuses from them with postage about £9. 
    On aside there dosnt appear to be a fuse removal tool in the fuse box well not in the one behind the glove box. 

(From my post in above thread)
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Hi, I'm trying to do this also. I have a usb lead. How do I pick up the power from the fuse box?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

You could cut the usb lead off and just connect the live and earth up. However I brought a hard wire kit for mine off e bay and used that and a piggy back fuse.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

Your best bet is to get the hard wire kit. Do not connect your usb straight to 12v it needs to go through the voltage regulator.
  • Craigp
    England 

Your best bet is to get the hard wire kit has mentioned by Russell. Don't connect usb straight to 12v it needs to go through the voltage regulator.
  • Craigp
    England 

Sorry just trying to get my post count up. Laughing
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Haha, yes I was thinking that. I need 5v.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum