Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Buying advice please - Discovery 5, Audi Q7 or Merc GLS

First post - from a long-time Disco4 forum member...

My second D4 HSE is a little over three years old now and 53k miles, and starting to look for alternatives.

So far it's between the Disco 5, Audi Q7 or Merc GLS. I love a big boot, and whilst the Q7 is supposedly an amazing car (I have no experience of it), I'm most interested in the Land Rover and my wild card entry of a GLS. Absolutely love the space in that car, but also conscious its effectively a six year old model now, albeit circa £9/10k off with Carwow putting it below the cost of an HSE for a pretty outstanding spec.

I'd really value some advice from other forum members, as I've genuinely never been so unsure of what car I actually want to replace the D4 with.

1. Any thoughts on the Merc GLS - did anyone else seriously consider one or know much about them? Mine is mainly for family use. Off road onto beaches about once per year and not important... I value driving position, comfort and big boot space most highly.

2. Is now a good time to be getting a D5 - any concern with a 3.0 litre diesel (albeit a Euro 6 one) and suitability for still being able to drive into and out of London for the next 4 years?

3. Reliability concerns? I was stung massively with a 2010 D4, so is it still too early to be buying this new car?

4. The back - so ugly - but I'd be buying it in the Black, with Privacy Glass and a Black pack. From the configurator online it looks to do the best job of hiding the car's ugliness. Any personal experiences? I would only buy a black car - no other colour choices even an option for me Shocked

5. Seating position... I'm hopefully driving one this weekend. For me, I like the upright seat for my terrible back and legroom, being 6ft 3". How have other taller/bigger members got on with the D5?

6. And second-row legroom - gets slated a bit on video reviews online. If the drivers seat is always fully back, is it better or worse than a D4?

7. And finally colours - think I spotted a choice of 3 blacks online... Anyone have photos of the non-metallic black option (the one for £0) - am intrigued!

Sorry - conscious that's a lot to ask - but all experience / views / thoughts would be much appreciated!

Last edited by 747_JK on 27th Jun 2018 8:20 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

As someone with a D5 on order I may be a bit biased....

For me it was really the only sensible choice to replace the D4. I had contemplated getting a newer D4 before they finished production to delay the need to make a decision but in the end I just kept my current one longer than planned. None of the others have the off-road capability I'm looking for.

The D5 has been out in the real world for more than 2 years now so it's teething problem will already have been discovered by other suckers people and have either been fixed or have some sort of work-around.

I live and work in a rural area - I'm not overly concerned about cities banning diesel but I think it will be a lot of years before Euro 6 engines get banned.

If I keep taking my medication, I'm sure I can live with the hideous ar$e on the D5. At least I can't see it from the driver's seat.

I'm 6'3" and the driver's seat has plenty of room and adjustment. I actually had it a bit higher off the floor than I do in the D4 and not fully back. I didn't sit in the back.

My D4 is Santorini Black and I've ordered Farallon Black for the D5. The plain black is err..um...well... plain and black as you'd expect. Rolling with laughter

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Really useful insights - thank you!!!

Does anyone on the site own the non-metallic black version? Would love to see pics of the two, and can so far only find the metallic option.

Think I’ve put myself off the GLS for now, reading that a new model is due in 2019...
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Unless you need to tow heavy loads or a big caravan then go for the 2L. It’s a brilliantly suited engine to the car and has plenty of go in it. Also very good on diesel. Even driving not particularly efficiently (if you know what I mean) it returns high thirties MPG. Very impressed with it. Take a test drive !

Regards space. Only gripe is the sloping rear hatch. Not as practical when packing as the square box the D4 was.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I have the 3.0 and love it, yes have had a few issues with software updates and these have all now been resolved. It drives lovley and now having done 12k the fuel economey is going up and up, regularly getting mid to high 30's Smile
    As for the 2.0 yes it is a nice car and one I would consider if it werent for the fact I tow a big twin axle caravan. I have had one as a loane car whilst the software issues were reslved in my car.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Labbix

GLS makes no sense to buy now, as you would buy a very old car.
    Q7: better car to drive, especially on the road, better engines, both diesel and petrol. 6 isofix (3 on the second row), looks great in black, no real spare wheel, very small trunk with 7 seats configuration, worst screens for second row (cheap Android, but you pay a lot for it), interior not much different than a Volkswagen or any other Audi. They look all the same
    D5: old diesel engine, soon to be replaced by ingenium 6 in-line, biggest trunk, most spacious, best off road, full spare wheel, best driving position (although personal of course) worst infotainment from the 3 cars, 5 isofix, but only 2 on second row, not possible to take second row headrest off ( if needed for bigger child seats), fridge more like a cool box than a fridge.
    Other option Volvo xc90: but no 6 cylinders, not off road oriented

Choices...
  • DCCHO48
    United Kingdom 

I ordered a D5 HSE 3 litre diesel in October. Having heard of all the problems(particularly the oil dilution) I cancelled the order 3 weeks before the March 1st delivery date-the dealer understood the reasons why and returned my deposit. I now have a Q7 and it is a fantastic vehicle. Very comfortable and quiet long distance cruiser, plenty of tech that just works as it should, Have had it for 3 months and nothing has gone wrong at all-done 2,600 miles and averaged 33 mpg with 40 mpg on the motorway. It is a really good tow vehicle-much better than the Hi-lux it replaced. I appreciate that it does not have the ultimate off road ability of the D5-(my son has a Defender I can use to get our heavy trailer out of our wet fields).
    The only downside is the lack of a spare wheel-but not having suffered a puncture yet, it is not a major problem.
    I am 6 ft 3” and find it very comfortable and there is still loads of room for the rear seat passenger, behind me.
    The quality of the finish of the vehicle is superb and with loads of options it was cheaper than a D5. I have the air suspension, which makes a big difference.
    Having owned an early Range Rover and then a early Disco I was keen to try the D5. But could not face having to make so many trips to the dealer to fix the problems.

Have a good look at a Q7-you will be very impressed.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Yup, pretty much agree now re: the GLS - hadn't realised it was such an old car (still looks pretty good) - but is due to be replaced with an all new MY2020 car in Summer 2019. Will avoid.

The Q7 does sound impressive, and I live one road from an Audi/VW dealer (my wife bought a Tiguan last November and it's been faultless and I love the build quality). Guess I'm just put off by the shape (it doesn't WOW me, but then again, it doesn't have an ugly backside either). Boot looks a bit smaller too, but I'm yet to read a bad review of it. Will pop into the dealer and take a look this weekend as well.

Does anyone know how different the new Ingenium engine will be - what's it expected to offer? Massively reduced CO2 or better fuel economy, or both? Having said that, having had two bad engines in my last D4, one of which was replaced and the other which was just problematic, hanging on (another year???) for the new engine doesn't hold huge appeal as it will be new and most likely problematic for the early adopters, given the LR track record... When will the first new engines be out?
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

You'll be waiting at least 18 months for the D6 in the Disco
  • Labbix

Don’t think it will have problems as it is just an extension of the existing 4 cylinder ingenium which I read good things about.

Last remark on the Q7, although it looks small it is a very long car, more than 5 meters, which is longer than the D5, so check your garage and parking spots in town Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum