Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

4 wheeled braked trailer.

Looking for a brand new 4 wheeled braked trailer too replace the current one.

Have had an Ifor Williams in the past, but dont want to spend silly money on it this time around as only for occassional use.

Have had Daxara and Erde (both unbraked for smaller loads), which have also been excellent.

Been looking at the Erde 234 x 4F and Daxara 239×4.2 braked.

Has anyone got any experience from the above 2 ??

Looking too hold at least 1 tonne minimum, but a bonus if holds more just incase, i.e. 1.5 - 2 tonnes.

As long as i can easily get 6 x 4 plasterboard sheets into it, which the above 2 say they will, am happy.

Any recommendations if anyone has purchased a new one recently, as seems too be recent revamps in the suspension setups which i dont have a clue about.

Like super ride system which is rubber torsion inside axle, and the Knotts system ?

Dont want a leaf sprung system like on the Williams, which bounced up and down.

Any tips are appreciated.

Cheers Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

How did you get on with this in the end?

I currently use a, much smaller, Erde 193 750kg single axle trailer after my Ifor Williams got knicked and I needed something light weight and compact.

It’s been brilliant and I only wished I’d bought one size up, but I’m not sure if this isn’t about the sweet spot in their range and if stretching this basic design to a twin axle and braked variant isn’t pushing the basic design a bit too far. Especially considering the thickness of the sheet metal and the payloads involved.

If I needed that size and weight again, I’d be looking at another lightly used Ifor Williams.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

If you're towing more than 750Kg its got to be braked. I've had both leaf spring and rubber 'torsion' axle types but prefer the solid axle leaf sprung, I found with the rubber axle, the wheel caster and camber altered dependant on load, it is also inevitable, that the rubber type will deteriorate over time as they are not sealed and will allow moisture to penetrate. Ultimately I bought a new Ifor Williams as by the time I had claimed back the VAT, it was no different in price to a second hand trailer but with the obvious advantage of pronenence of the trailer.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

FlatEarther, I eventually went for the range topper, the Daxara 239 4F braked. It's exactly like the Erde 234 4F braked but with a few extras like 4 shock absorbers and double skinned metal panels all round making it more durable. For the exact same price it would have been daft not to go for the better model. I also purchased a new set of side extensions to double the height and probably get a lockable polycarbonate lid for it once it's fully assembled. All sitting in the garage along with the ply wood to line the interior. Nice little project for when am off for 2 weeks next week, so kids can help me assemble it.

Like I said I already have a smaller Erde and Daxara which have been really good and never let me down once, but need a bigger one for the more demanding tasks. Maintenance is easy like changing the wheel bearings which is all thats ever been done.

Like yourself I had a brand new Ifor Williams stolen after only a few months and was gutted, and this is alot cheaper than the equivalent Ifor Williams that I priced up with all the accessories. Seems Ifor Williams are the no. 1 choice for sticky fingers unfortunately, so hoping a lesser known brand won't be high up or as desirable on the thieving Censored list.

I have already purchased a datatag /microdot system. Insurance is £90/£100 for the year when I enquired but jury is still out on this as I think the datatag is sufficient. Thanks for your input. Well appreciated Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

harrythespider wrote:
    If you're towing more than 750Kg its got to be braked. I've had both leaf spring and rubber 'torsion' axle types but prefer the solid axle leaf sprung, I found with the rubber axle, the wheel caster and camber altered dependant on load, it is also inevitable, that the rubber type will deteriorate over time as they are not sealed and will allow moisture to penetrate. Ultimately I bought a new Ifor Williams as by the time I had claimed back the VAT, it was no different in price to a second hand trailer but with the obvious advantage of pronenence of the trailer.

Thanks Harrythespider. Yes am aware of the 750 kg plus needing brakes hence took the plunge with the braked one as need too carry at least 1 tonne minimum regularly. Causing less wear and tear on the cars discs pads as well with braked one.
    With regards to spring leafs I found they bounceed alot more than rubber torsion. Had the shakle and the leaf spring break before a few times on the home made one I had, and welded a few times.
    Never noticed the wheel camber and caster alter on the smaller trailer when maxxed out at 335kg. It also has rubber torsion. Yes the rubber will perish over time, just like a cars tyres and rubber components like fan belts etc. However I will get the rubber treated and sealed to reduce the risk of this happening. Not sure if you can use cavity foam expanding spray which hardens around the rubber to prevent moisture though but will look into it. Any ideas?
    Thanks for the information Thumbs Up

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Be careful what you treat the rubber with, I've seen some axles where the arm has spun 90 degrees in its tube after silicon preserver was introduced to preserve it. I would be tempted to drill a few small holes in appropriate locations and fill with a decent silicon sealant
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about greasing the outer rubber with copper grease or a rubberised paint which hardens over time Thumbs Up

This is what it will look like when finished. Not sure if getting the lockable lid or just a vinyl cover and add roof bars instead?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum