Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Doesn't technology move on. But I doubt if that is used in our engines.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

As I understood the process, diesel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, and not the compression stroke, consequently the post injected diesel is not ignited by either compression or by the spent fuel already in the cylinder, but by catalytic reaction. Therefor why can't the extra diesel required for regeneration be injected into the exhaust manifold or wherever else outside of the cylinder. After reading Andynoiseboys suggestions, injecting into the manifold appears to be one solution to the problem. Adding a supplementary injector to the existing high pressure system would not be expensive, nor would I believe adding the neccessary software to operate it as there is already software embbedded to overfuel on the exhaust stroke. In theory you could use all the existing sensors/ calculations/assumptions that the present system utilises but instead of activating the power injectors, redirect the command to the supplementary one. Or is that too simple?????
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I stand corrected, I thought it was burned.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Multiple marques are affected by dilution....no.1 cause = regulations without resolutions Thumbs Up
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

fuel is injected into cylinder to start the nox conversion process essential for dpf function early. it is not just the cheapest way of post injection but a essential part of euro 6
    injecting it later/ after the turbo was used sometimes on previous euro bands but is not good enough for the top cleanest eu bands

so very many untruths on forums around this whole subject, believe no-one. including me

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Hello chicken george....
    I wonder if it would work better with some 2 stroke oil in the fuel Rolling with laughter
    (Longest running arguement on freel2 forum)
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

cripes dont start that 2 stroke thing off again, that and the must use a ctek charger everytime you park otherwise your battery will only last 7 years not 8.

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

harrythespider wrote:
    As I understood the process, diesel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, and not the compression stroke, consequently the post injected diesel is not ignited by either compression or by the spent fuel already in the cylinder, but by catalytic reaction...

The way I understand it, the post-injected fuel isn't combusted, but it is burned in after-injection. The difference is the rate of burn. But the exhaust stream must be hot enough to make the fuel burn. That burning fuel is then used to burn off accumulated soot in the DPF to mitigate inevitable clogging and increased back pressure, which brings its own problems.

Old article that doesn't keep up with technology today, but it explains the problem well enough:

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/articles/...n-problem/

Further, "Not all aftertreatment systems providers utilize post injection in their regeneration strategy. Some incorporate in-stream fuel injection where injectors positioned in the exhaust stream squirt controlled doses of fuel downstream of the combustion process, some coupled with a burner, to create the exothermic reaction needed to incinerate the trapped particulate matter while avoiding the issue of fuel dilution altogether. Caterpillar utilizes this in-stream approach with a diesel burner in the exhaust stream. Currently it's a matter of economics-OEMs see a cost savings in utilizing existing fuel injection systems rather than tacking on the additional cost of extra equipment. "
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

Yep, the principle in it's most simplistic terms is that temperatures of 500-600C are needed to incinerate the soot collected in the DPF. In normal running conditions it will be too cool so additional fuel is burnt, not in the cylinder's ignition stroke, to raise the exhaust gas temperatures (and as a result, the DPF temperature) to a point where regeneration can occur. Essentially wasting fuel, ironically.
    The electronics and sensors monitor the pressures before and after the DPF to assess whether it is considered to be free-flowing and therefore acceptably clear, then it stops the active regeneration.
    Injecting the additional fuel late in the cylinders' power stroke does the job but risks fuel passing the rings and entering the engine oil - hence dilution, inevitably. Injecting the fuel into the manifold would negate that but would require addition hardware and control systems.
    The current 'situation' is a result of trying to comply with regulations using an older engine design.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Yep, cost-benefit analysis. Had diesel sales not tanked in many countries due to Dieselgate, perhaps some automakers would have moved to a different design and that would have created a supply of parts to enable easier . One would have figured given the price points on JLR vehicles they would have made the choice to implement post-injection in the downpipe with an external heater to mitigate the oil dilution problem, but clearly that's not the case. Maybe we'll see something like that in the Ingenium 6cyl turbodiesel....
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Well my dealer told me today that there is no issue with oil dilution at all in any engine.
    Apparently it's down to faulty sensors throwing up the service indicator.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I would be changing my dealer as they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Whether or not there is an oil dilution issue, the software uses an algorithym to predict oil dilution which is readable by the diagnostic system. If there is no actual dilution, then the algorithym is not predicting correctly, its nothing to do with faulty sensors.
    My V6d had its first oil change at 5200 miles, oil dilution on pathfinder was then 7.2, no issues logged with vehicle, all systems working as designed.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

So thats JLR, owners and industry experts all agree that theres an oil dilution problem (well all except AndresS's dealer) But JLR are unwilling to provide a proper solution on what will soon be an obsolete engine. The trouble is, that until L462 reaches 3 years of age no one will offer an alternative/aftermarket solution for fear of voiding the warranty. The only hope is that other JLR marques that are out of warranty may have the same problem and would foster development of the solution.
    Having read the numerous posts and included references I fail to understand why extra diesel needs to be injected into the system. If the only real criteria needed to allow regeneration is the provision of circa 600 deg C heat, why not simply introduce at the most effective position, a suitable in exhaust heater (I'm thinking induction coil) there are already available coils and systems capable of reaching the neccessary temp for the required period, all that would be required would be power source and operating software.
    I'm guessing if it was that simple JLR (and other manufacturers suffering the same problem) would have done so by now.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

It's a matter of obtaining a high enough temperature and doing that electrically has its challenges. I suspect the solution will simply be more frequent oil changes. Cheaper than redesigning the post injection or retrofitting some form of catalyst addition system.
  • Guy
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

If the solution is more frequent oil changes, are they covered by warranty and/or the Service Plan? We seem to be hearing different answers from different dealers and, of course, the catch-all of "it's your driving style, sir/madam" seems to be a sneaky get-out...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum